PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Any reason to object to planning permission?

I live in a first floor flat, as part of a Victorian house conversion.

The downstair flat has just been bought and a planning permission request put in for a simple rear extension to make the kitchen diner bigger.

As far as I can tell there's no problem for me except that my view will be of the top of their extension rather than the garden I can see now (which I don't have access to). Clearly I wouldn't object to that!

I just want to check that there's no other issues I should be considering. The only thing I can think of is making sure they'll still be able to give access via a ladder etc to the outer building of my flat?

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,462
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Rather than looking at planning permission, have you looked at downstairs' lease? Whose permission do they need to extend?

What is the management company set up?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Kai_63
    Kai_63 Posts: 63
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 January at 8:29PM
    RAS said:
    Rather than looking at planning permission, have you looked at downstairs' lease? Whose permission do they need to extend?

What is the management company set up?
    Thanks. I should have said, leasehold is managed by a management company so they need their permission.

My lease actually says I can't alter any internal walls so I'm surprised that the management company would allow this but the downstairs' flat might have different terms.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,462
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It costs about £7 to get a copy of your neighbour's lease, which would indicate what they are allowed to do, from the Land Registry. I think you have to submit a form and may receive the document by post.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,319
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    How close would this be?
    Cooking smells, vapour from tumble drier, boiler?
    Hopefully not the case and a roof below may make it a little warmer on your side ;)

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Kai_63
    Forumite
    Oh thank you, I didn't know you could do that. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,265
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Kai_63 said: The downstair flat has just been bought and a planning permission request put in for a simple rear extension to make the kitchen diner bigger.
    Negotiate to turn the roof in to a terrace for your flat - Depending on orientation, it could turn out to be a more usable space than a garden.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,161
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FreeBear said:
    Kai_63 said: The downstair flat has just been bought and a planning permission request put in for a simple rear extension to make the kitchen diner bigger.
    Negotiate to turn the roof in to a terrace for your flat - Depending on orientation, it could turn out to be a more usable space than a garden.
    My thought exactly!
  • Kai_63
    Forumite
    Thank you, will look into options for a terrace too.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 4,458
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 6 January at 8:49AM
    Roof terrace - nice idea.
    But I wonder what the chances are of the downstairs flat being happy with other folk walking on their roof, and having a grandstand view of their garden?
    I wouldn't hold out much - any - hope. Unless you are prepared to pay for a suitable construction to be added to their roof, one that'll fully protect it, soundproof it, be covered by insurance, have an obscuring balcony...
    Depending on the roof material, there could possibly be some mileage in them allowing some plants and shrubs in planters on there, which would bring the garden effect up to your level. But again, there's the risk of damage to the surface, and it requiring regular access to maintain the plants - I just can't see that happening.
    Perhaps a floating planter, secured - hanging - off your window sill could help to soften the effect of the new roof; a nice line of greenery along the bottom of your window view if needed?
  • Tracet74
    Tracet74 Posts: 100
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Make sure your neighbour follows the correct procedure in respect of getting a Party Wall Award so your property is covered for any accidental damage
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback