Contact from abroad.

Options
Does anyone have experience of contacting the credit card providers from abroad ? Previously with Tesco credit card when abroad it was put on hold as was my JaJa (previously post office) credit card Jaja eventually contacted me by calling me on WhatsApp and I was able to resolve the issue. Unfortunately having only been given normal telephone number for Tesco credit card (other security measures were rejected after being told to use)I was unable to unblock my card and could not use it for the rest of my trip. Does anyone know of the best card to get for contacting provider easily with WhatsApp, online, email or live chat? Was thinking of applying for the Barclaycard but say it only has an abroad landline contact number. Are you able to resolve security issues with the app? Or other means?
Thanks 

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have only had negative experiences of this...

Get yourself a Curve card and take several different credit cards, so if one or two get blocked you still have others that you can use.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You can use WhatsApp to make phone calls.
    Life in the slow lane
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Reg37 said:
    Does anyone have experience of contacting the credit card providers from abroad ? Previously with Tesco credit card when abroad it was put on hold as was my JaJa (previously post office) credit card Jaja eventually contacted me by calling me on WhatsApp and I was able to resolve the issue. Unfortunately having only been given normal telephone number for Tesco credit card (other security measures were rejected after being told to use)I was unable to unblock my card and could not use it for the rest of my trip. Does anyone know of the best card to get for contacting provider easily with WhatsApp, online, email or live chat? Was thinking of applying for the Barclaycard but say it only has an abroad landline contact number. Are you able to resolve security issues with the app? Or other means?
    Thanks 

Yes, telephoned them, have used their apps, live chat etc where needed with AmEx, Virgin, Starling (debit card), Barclays, NatWest and probably others that I can't remember. 

What's your issue with phoning them? If it's the cost then set yourself up with a VOIP provider on a PAYG basis and a UK call will cost pennies from anywhere in the world you have internet. 

Only to other WhatsApp users... can't use it to call a landline
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 427 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I almost never use a credit card abroad, but when I do need/want to, I toggle "abroad freeze" from on to off in the app (MBNA) and I've never had a problem. 
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Skype can do landlines (and mobiles) from abroad at normal rates. It's the only time I ever use Skype now.

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Skype can do landlines (and mobiles) from abroad at normal rates. It's the only time I ever use Skype now.
    Skype is just a proprietary VOIP provider. Personally prefer to use a different VOIP provider so can easily switch provider without changing hardware or software (not that I have switched in decades)  
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm still with one of the mobile providers that allows EU roaming and will continue that as long as it remains an option.

Other than that if I was out of options and really needed the card I'd just suck up the roaming charge. 
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unfortunately not. Whatsapp cannot be used to call the landlines used by most financial institutions.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,137 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Skype is just a proprietary VOIP provider. Personally prefer to use a different VOIP provider so can easily switch provider without changing hardware or software (not that I have switched in decades)  

That's true and if you are a regular VOIP user then there are better/cheaper solutions but for irregular use, Skype is fine and if you have a personal Microsoft 365 subscription there will be some calling credit included. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback