BG Boiler Quote

Options
BG condemned our boiler today and have capped off the gas supply at the meter. No complaints about their actions as i'd rather not risk using a dangerous boiler.

The old boiler is a combi mounted in a cupboard with the flue going through the attic/roof of our bungalow.
BG have quoted to replace it with a new 35kw Valiant boiler in the same location with new flue. Scaffolding required to reach the roof.
£4400
We have no gas supply now so no hot water or heating and need to arrange a replacement ASAP.
I'm guessing they have loaded it up because we are desperate but are they really taking the mick?

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,603 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BG are rarely the cheapest option. Look for a local company and ask for a quote the supply the same. Just make sure they are an approved Valiant installer if that's the brand you want. Of course you're pretty desperate to get the work done, so that severely limits your options.
    Also check that the installer BG will use will give you the full warranty - they must be accredited by Valiant to do so. I had a quote from BG some years back for a Worcester Bosch boiler, but they couldn't provide the full 10 year warranty because they weren't accredited. They didn't get the business and were the most expensive anyway!

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can I ask what is so dangerous about your current boiler? Why was it condemned? Is it worth a second opinion?
  • zooks
    zooks Posts: 101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I ask what is so dangerous about your current boiler? Why was it condemned? Is it worth a second opinion?

Its a Biasi boiler and its been unreliable for a while. That said it was serviced yearly but this year the BG engineer has condemned it due to high CO2 readings and the flue not being properly fitted. I was surprised he disconnected our gas supply though but I guess it was deemed necessary.
    A second opinion might be a good idea but obviously I can't demonstrate anything because they have shut off my gas!
    If I get another heating engineer to do the work do I have to get BG to reconnect my gas?

• MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A gas registered engineer can reconnect the gas and do a test, that would be my first priority 

Quotes from local company will be cheaper than BG 

Choose a boiler with a long warranty 7 or 10 years

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a lesson in never having BG service your boiler.  They have history of doing this.  Many years ago they did it to my mother when all it needed was a grommet which they said was unavailable.  A local gas servicer fitted it a day later.  Did they also diswconnect a gas cooker, that would be really out of order.
  • glennevis
    glennevis Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 January at 2:43AM
    Options
    MikeJXE said:
    A gas registered engineer can reconnect the gas and do a test, that would be my first priority 

Quotes from local company will be cheaper than BG 

Choose a boiler with a long warranty 7 or 10 years

https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

I was talking to a gas safe engineer just before Christmas and at least one manufacturer is now doing 12 year warranty on combi boilers. Obviously with T&Cs (magnetic filter, annual service etc.).
  • zooks
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
    I have a local firm coming to take a look today.
    I'm not accusing BG of anything, it had been highlighted to us before that Biasi is not the best boiler but its a lot of money to find so i'll check out our options.
    better dig out the thick jumpers!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Can BG fit a new boiler quickly? I am looking at options, though mine has just been repaired so I have some time to look at options. BG seem to want their “gas surveyor” to visit before booking the job in and then they book a couple of weeks ahead. It may be quicker in your area. When I thought I would need an urgent replacement, BOXT had short lead times and prices a little cheaper than BG, maybe worth a look (though it’s not a recommendation)
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,637 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    badmemory said: This is a lesson in never having BG service your boiler.  They have history of doing this.  Many years ago they did it to my mother when all it needed was a grommet which they said was unavailable.  A local gas servicer fitted it a day later.
    I had a gas boiler "condemned" (not by BG) because they claimed that a grommet was missing. Called them out as there was never a grommet where they said there should be, and it wasn't even listed on the spares. Tried to find another local Gas Safe engineer to check & reconnect, but most of them refused to do the work.

Several companies advertising next day boiler replacements, Boxt being just one. Heatable & Boiler Central being a couple more - They will contract a local engineer to do the install (quality of work can be variable), but will offer 10/12 year warranties depending on boiler. A straight boiler swap should take less than a day.
    I'd suggest looking at the Viessmann 050 combi - It has a fantastic modulation range and a 10 year warranty. Depending on your cold water flow rate, a 30KW boiler may well be sufficient.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • zooks
    Options
    Thanks again,
    I had a look at prices. Just retail not trade the boiler BG quoted is £1600, flue and ancillaries probably £500 ish (guessing) scaffolding £800? (it's only a bungalow).
    They said they can use same gas feed & pipework where possible, our existing mag trap and hive system.
    £1500 for a days labour seems a lot to me, is it?
    Local plumber called in this morning so put BG on hold until I get a second opinion
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback