Using PAC code when staying on same network

specs78
specs78 Posts: 36
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi everyone, 

I've finally had enough of Vodafone after twenty years as they offered me an "upgrade" on my finishing contract at double the price!

I've found the phone that I want at half the price online and with no upfront costs (Vodafone want £30 for the phone as well) whilst staying on the Vodafone network...... 

The retentions agent I spoke to today said that my PAC won't work if I stay on the same network, it will only work if I swap to another one and I would have to change my number

Is this true? (I got cut off before they could generate it as well 😂) 

Also, I only a have a week before my contract expires. How can I transfer over to the new one, without paying double? 

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,961
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 4:49PM
    Can't you just switch to a SIM only contract, and then use the SIM free handset you're buying? You shouldn't need a PAC code, and you should be able to keep your number.

Or are you trying to move to something like 1p mobile, or Smarty type provider which use the Vodafone network, but are not Vodafone?

I moved from a contract with a phone with EE to a SIM only contract with EE a few years ago, keeping my number.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Who are you buying it from? Have you checked with them?

When I used the likes of Carphone Warehouse back in the day to renew/upgrade my contract there was no need for a PAC code for staying with the same network (O2 in my case). 
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 5,937
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Get a cheap (e.g. £5pm) 1 month deal with another provider, such as Lebera and use the PAC to move your number to them. Then get your new phone deal on Vodafone, get a PAC from the new provider and move the number back. Should cost you £5 or whatever the cheap deal is.
  • specs78
    specs78 Posts: 36
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Emmia said:
    Can't you just switch to a SIM only contract, and then use the SIM free handset you're buying? You shouldn't need a PAC code, and you should be able to keep your number.

Or are you trying to move to something like 1p mobile, or Smarty type provider which use the Vodafone network, but are not Vodafone?

I moved from a contract with a phone with EE to a SIM only contract with EE a few years ago, keeping my number.
    Hiya! I should have added that I'm a pay monthly customer and I was looking to do the same with again, but with the online company.... 
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,120
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    no you can't use your pac to switch to the same network

what you can do is switch to another network on a cheap pay as you go number and then switch back
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,659
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    km1500 said:
    what you can do is switch to another network on a cheap pay as you go number and then switch back
    And you could do it for less than a pound, per the MSE cheap SIM finder:
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,435
    Forumite
    Please give details of the company/deal that you are proposing to move to. If it's described as an 'upgrade' then there is no need for PAC codes or swapping SIMs, your service will just continue "as is" at the new deal rate.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,617
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you do want to switch network and hence need a PAC code, there is a number you can text any provider and they will send back the PAC code.
    This web page has details:

Text PAC to 65075 to get your code.

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,961
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 7:14PM
    specs78 said:
    Emmia said:

Hiya! I should have added that I'm a pay monthly customer and I was looking to do the same with again, but with the online company.... 
    I don't understand what you're trying to do, you want to have a SIM only pay monthly deal with Vodafone rather than your current SIM+phone contract ... Is that right?

What is this "online company"? If  you're switching from a SIM+phone contract to a SIM only contract, and sticking with Vodafone,  you don't need a PAC code, your current contract (SIM+phone) will end, and then you can move onto a new SIM only deal, if you set that up.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,043
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you clarify whether you mean staying with Vodafone or moving to a virtual operator on Vodafone? If you sign up to a network such as talkmobile or lebara you will need to pac your number to them (despite Vodafone cust services saying you can't), but if you are signing up to a website which is acting as an introducer to Vodafone you can either migrate your number to the new contract or may even be able to add the new deal to your existing sim. Check out threads on upgrading through mobiles.co.uk for the experiences of others.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback