Contributory ESA and Vinted

System
System Posts: 178,073
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
Community Admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Contributory ESA.

Comments

• Kazzj750
    Kazzj750 Posts: 1
    First Post
    Hi I’m newbie on here just wondering I know someone on contributory esa and they sell on Vinted with the new laws coming out are you allowed to sell now 
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,173
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Kazzj750 said:
    Hi I’m newbie on here just wondering I know someone on contributory esa and they sell on Vinted with the new laws coming out are you allowed to sell now 
    What new laws?

Anyone is allowed to sell items.  Whether they have to report it as income for ESA depends on whether they're selling their own unwanted possessions which DWP don't need to know about, or whether they are buying or making items specifically to sell in which case they would be trading and ought to report the profit.  But unless their profit from trading is over the £167/week threshold it won't affect their ESA anyway.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,688
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 January at 1:20AM
    Kazzj750 said:
    I presume you're talking about HMRC looking to investigate more those on selling sites potentially not declaring their earnings to pay appropriate tax. There are no new laws as far as I know unless you're referring to something else. People are allowed to sell on these platforms.. whether that impacts benefits will depend on the benefit and the circumstances of the selling. 
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • MSE_Stephen
    MSE_Stephen Posts: 378
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Community Admin
    Hi @Kazzj750

We've created a new thread for your post

Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    To report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Flag a news story:
    [email protected]
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,227
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 11:06AM
    Kazzj750 said:
    I presume you're talking about HMRC looking to investigate more those on selling sites potentially not declaring their earnings to pay appropriate tax. There are no new laws as far as I know unless you're referring to something else. People are allowed to sell on these platforms.. whether that impacts benefits will depend on the benefit and the circumstances of the selling. 
    I read yesterday that there is a threshold for occasional sellers v regular sellers.  A platform like vinted may say 30 items per year,  the discussion mentioned a £1000.  So the “new” application of the law says platforms share your details with HMRC (hence the 30 items limit) and then HMRC marry it up with your tax return.

In my eyes it’s there to stop the charity shop up sellers from brining in cash and not paying tax.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,173
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    peteuk said:
    Kazzj750 said:
    I read yesterday that there is a threshold for occasional sellers v regular sellers.  A platform like vinted may say 30 items per year,  the discussion mentioned a £1000.  So the “new” application of the law says platforms share your details with HMRC (hence the 30 items limit) and then HMRC marry it up with your tax return.

In my eyes it’s there to stop the charity shop up sellers from brining in cash and not paying tax.
    Whatever arbitrary measures they might bring in, it doesn't change the fact that only trading income is reportable and taxable.

The reporting around this is so irresponsible, causing so much confusion and distress because it's so unclear.  Thoroughly reprehensible.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback