Default Notice

My former partner's mail is still arriving at our jointly owned property. I have been writing "no longer at this address" and putting back in the post box but unfortunately this weekend one of his letters was opened by mistake. It basically states that he needs to pay £1584.81 by 19 January 2024 or the default notice will be actioned.  I have no knowledge of my former partner's whereabouts as he was removed due to Domestic Violence in May 2023. He has not paid any bills since his removal. I have tried to speak with Virgin Money who refuse to take any details of his family members to seek his whereabouts.  I am worried sick in case bailiffs turn up on my doorstep.  Can anyone advise what I can do to stop this happening.  Thanks

Comments

  • MorningcoffeeIV
    MorningcoffeeIV Posts: 1,920
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just keep returning it 'not known at this address, or simply bin.

    Highly unlikely balliffs would ever be engaged and even if they were, you'd easily be able to prove you're not your ex.
  • prettyandfluffy
    prettyandfluffy Posts: 648
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Stick it back in the envelope, re-seal and write "opened in error" on the back of it before returning to sender as you have been. 
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 5:48AM
    Well if you don't know where he is you can't pass on the letter to him. It's not your debt, so not your problem.

    You should not phone his creditors about the situation.

    However, the situation of being in a jointly owned property with someone who has disappeared  is potentially problematic. Are you paying a mortgage or is it owned outright?
  • Luscious007
    Luscious007 Posts: 5
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fatbelly said:
    Well if you don't know where he is you can't pass on the letter to him. It's not your debt, so not your problem.

    You should not phone his creditors about the situation.

    However, the situation of being in a jointly owned property with someone who has disappeared  is potentially problematic. Are you paying a mortgage or is it owned outright?
    I am currently paying all bills including the mortgage but making separate payments so it is obvious that I am paying his half too.  I understand I can prove I am not him but what I will find difficult to prove is that the assets in the property - TV etc are not his.  

  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,379
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check all 3 credit records (via Clear Score, Credit Karma, MSE Credit Club) and ensure there is no financial association with him

    After that, keep an eye out for any court or debt agency ones - keep sending them back 

    I would suggest also that you submit a formal complaint to Virgin, make sure you mention the DV etc and say you are vulnerable and worry about bailiffs etc - might at least get them to apologise and send you some flowers or something
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 3 January at 10:20AM
    fatbelly said:
    Well if you don't know where he is you can't pass on the letter to him. It's not your debt, so not your problem.

    You should not phone his creditors about the situation.

    However, the situation of being in a jointly owned property with someone who has disappeared  is potentially problematic. Are you paying a mortgage or is it owned outright?
    I am currently paying all bills including the mortgage but making separate payments so it is obvious that I am paying his half too.  I understand I can prove I am not him but what I will find difficult to prove is that the assets in the property - TV etc are not his.  

    That's not an issue. If bailiffs ever did appear (not particularly likely) then you just refuse them entry. I'm assuming these are just ordinary credit debts, not criminal fines from a court

    The issue is that you are paying the mortgage. It's going to be very difficult to sell and move should you want to (and I can see that you might want a new start somewhere), and he would get 50% of any equity despite making no contribution. I think you should get advice. Maybe start with the free Shelter helpline.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Nasqueron said:
    Check all 3 credit records (via Clear Score, Credit Karma, MSE Credit Club) and ensure there is no financial association with him

    After that, keep an eye out for any court or debt agency ones - keep sending them back 

    I would suggest also that you submit a formal complaint to Virgin, make sure you mention the DV etc and say you are vulnerable and worry about bailiffs etc - might at least get them to apologise and send you some flowers or something
    There's a joint mortgage so they are financially associated.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,379
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fatbelly said:
    Nasqueron said:
    Check all 3 credit records (via Clear Score, Credit Karma, MSE Credit Club) and ensure there is no financial association with him

    After that, keep an eye out for any court or debt agency ones - keep sending them back 

    I would suggest also that you submit a formal complaint to Virgin, make sure you mention the DV etc and say you are vulnerable and worry about bailiffs etc - might at least get them to apologise and send you some flowers or something
    There's a joint mortgage so they are financially associated.
    Said jointly owned so wasn't sure - still worth a check in case he's been opening other debts in her name
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,241
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Mse credit c!ub is leaving Experian. Not sure if it's happened yet but you can always get a free statutory report from Experian
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,379
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    fatbelly said:
    Mse credit c!ub is leaving Experian. Not sure if it's happened yet but you can always get a free statutory report from Experian
    Yeah I should probably have said to do it quickly before they move!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards