🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Gas Meter Dead - not providing any reading

Options
Hi,

Im with Octopus Energy, I joined just over a year ago providing a gas meter reading when I joined. At some point after then my actual gas meter died, it still provides gas obviously but there is no life in the display (to be clear this is the actual gas meter on the gas supply, NOT the smart meter).

I only noticed this a few months ago when my energy account still has £2300 in and no invoices for gas usage, as there is no readings provided. I cannot withdraw and I cannot pay. 

I contacted Octopus about it in autumn the meter and an engineer came on 21st Dec. He said couldn't replace the meter because it wasn't accessible enough,  even though the smart meter was installed there fine when it was originally replaced. Anyway kitchen cupboard would have to be cut and removed for them to replace the meter. 

My question is where do I stand with billing? As thr only true reading was when I first joined Octopus. So they have no usage history to go off? The meter is dead and apparently there is no back up reading, so there is no way to recover any sort of usage reading to provide. 
In addition we had 4 adults in the property before joining Octopus but now only have 2. 

Is it a case of just having to negotiate with Octopus to come to an agreement on the amount used during that period?

Thanks 

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The smart meter is the device on the wall.  The portable unit is the In Home Display (IHD).
  • MultiFuelBurner
    Options
    They will estimate your usage based on previous years. Have you been at the property long?
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 December 2023 at 2:51PM
    Options
    You want an accurate bill - you need a new functioning meter.

If its your kit in the way or pipework that needs modifying to fit it - that's again likely going to be at your expense - or your landlords if renting as a general rule.  And meter fitters again as a rule won't do any of it for you - just report the issue.

You might be able to argue about consumption estimates - espe ially for months after reporting fault if think the delay on sending fitter unreasonable - or based on new meter readings retrospectively. 

But with gas and gch  - consumption is so seasonal and weather dependent its not going to be easy. 

My Dec 22 all electric consumption - 2 weeks of really cold weather here - was nearly 50% higher than this Dec (with 1 day to go asof lastnights reading - which is closer to 2021) -  and house was empty for nearly a week in 22 with no hw and only minimal heating.

There really is no substitute for accurate meter readings.

I actually think suppliers are allowed far too much leeway on estimated billing - durations especially - there's no real excuse for customers with  smart metering for them not to spot issues from daily readings or absence thereof. 

Supplier might be willing to amend estimates a little for lower occupancy if aware - but who knows what they were basing them on anyway - and occupancy often doesnt radically impact heating costs anyway as much as other factors.

But in reality I fear this is just going to be another one of those valuable life lessons - to keep on top of meter readings and billing - to ensure bills accurate and always based on actual not estimated consumption figures. 

I take data and trend on daily basis occasionally more so in winter as enter exit cold snaps, but keep weekly and monthly from ihd  - and get monthly statements on line now - others use smart apps to do so.

At a minimum suspect many here would advise monthly meter  reading checks regardless of billing cycle or meter technology.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    You can trace back via bills to see at exactly which point the meter stopped sending readings, so this side of things at least is definable. As and when the meter does get replaced, it would be good practise to ensure that you check the readings at least quarterly anyway - to be sure that the readings shown on your bills are in fact correct. 

Personally I’d just crack on with cutting the back out of the cupboard then getting the meter change sorted - as that is the only way that you are going to see a return to accurate billing - and from what you have said, it’s in your interests to return to that ASAP so that any reductions in use can be to your advantage? 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business