Bank Holiday in Scotland on 2 Jan

I have bank transfers scheduled on 2 Jan 24 from my Bank of Scotland Accounts to my HSBC and TSB accounts in England. My BOS bank is in Edinburgh.
I wonder whether these transfers will be delayed until 3 Jan with my English accounts subsequently getting into overdrafts.
I cannot remember what happens last year.
Anybody knows what will happen ?
Thanks

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
  • The bank payment systems will all be working on Jan 2 as if it were a Monday.

I'm sure that there is a statutory definition of a Bank Holiday and I know that Jan 2 24 is such in Scotland but in practical terms it can be ignored. Bank branches are open as are most retail outlets. 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,097
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I have bank transfers scheduled on 2 Jan 24 from my Bank of Scotland Accounts to my HSBC and TSB accounts in England. My BOS bank is in Edinburgh.
    I wonder whether these transfers will be delayed until 3 Jan with my English accounts subsequently getting into overdrafts.
    I cannot remember what happens last year.
    Anybody knows what will happen ?
    Thanks
    They work to the bank holidays in London so everything will be as normal on Tuesday.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,063
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There is a distinction between bank holidays and public holidays. Bank holidays in Scotland follow the rest of the UK now, whereas the public holidays vary quite a bit even within Scotland. Chunks of Scotland celebrate Victoria day for instance, and parts of Scotland aren't even aware it exists. 
  • Nebulous2 said:
    There is a distinction between bank holidays and public holidays. Bank holidays in Scotland follow the rest of the UK now, whereas the public holidays vary quite a bit even within Scotland. Chunks of Scotland celebrate Victoria day for instance, and parts of Scotland aren't even aware it exists. 
    This is true, even though Jan 2 is a Bank Holiday says the Scottish Government 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/bank-holidays/ 

it's not a holiday for banks.
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,129
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2023 at 4:07PM
    Nebulous2 said:
    Sorry, but this is not correct. Bank holidays do vary geographically. The following text is quoted from the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which defines bank holidays:

SCHEDULE 1 U.K.
    BANK HOLIDAYS
    The following are to be bank holidays in England and Wales:—
    Easter Monday.
    The last Monday in May.
    The last Monday in August.
    26th December, if it be not a Sunday.
    27th December in a year in which 25th or 26th December is a Sunday.
    The following are to be bank holidays in Scotland:—
    New Year’s Day, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 3rd January.
    2nd January, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 3rd January.
    Good Friday.
    The first Monday in May.
    The first Monday in August.
    [30th November, if it is not a Saturday or Sunday or, if it is a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday following that day.] Text in square brackets inserted by the St Andrews Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Act 2007.
    Christmas Day, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 26th December.

So 2 January is a bank holiday in Scotland, but not in England or Wales.

The distinction between bank holidays and public holidays (at least in England) is historical. You'll see from the text quoted above that Christmas Day and Good Friday are not bank holidays in E&W. However, they are public holidays. This is because they were already traditional holidays when the concept of bank holidays was introduced by the Bank Holidays Act 1871. It was not (and still is not) considered necessary to give them the status of bank holidays. (However, they are bank holidays in Scotland.)

I know nothing about Victoria Day celebrations to which you refer, and accept that this might well be an informal public holiday in some areas.

• Nebulous2
    Forumite
    Nebulous2 said:
    This is true, even though Jan 2 is a Bank Holiday says the Scottish Government 

https://www.gov.scot/publications/bank-holidays/ 

it's not a holiday for banks.
    Ok - an official bank holiday, but not a holiday for banks. From that page you linked:-  

"Banks in Scotland do not always close on Scottish bank holidays. For business reasons, Scottish banks tend to close on the same day as those in England and Wales."
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,508
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The banking system in Scotland works as in England but the branch network will likely be closed.
  • Sorry, but this is not correct. Bank holidays do vary geographically. The following text is quoted from the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which defines bank holidays:

No longer true in Scotland (the definition of bank holidays, not that they differ geographically). The setting of Bank Holidays is a devolved power.
  • Nebulous2
    Forumite
    Nebulous2 said:
    Sorry, but this is not correct. Bank holidays do vary geographically. The following text is quoted from the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which defines bank holidays:

SCHEDULE 1 U.K.
    BANK HOLIDAYS
    The following are to be bank holidays in England and Wales:—
    Easter Monday.
    The last Monday in May.
    The last Monday in August.
    26th December, if it be not a Sunday.
    27th December in a year in which 25th or 26th December is a Sunday.
    The following are to be bank holidays in Scotland:—
    New Year’s Day, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 3rd January.
    2nd January, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 3rd January.
    Good Friday.
    The first Monday in May.
    The first Monday in August.
    [30th November, if it is not a Saturday or Sunday or, if it is a Saturday or Sunday, the first Monday following that day.] Text in square brackets inserted by the St Andrews Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Act 2007.
    Christmas Day, if it be not a Sunday or, if it be a Sunday, 26th December.

So 2 January is a bank holiday in Scotland, but not in England or Wales.

The distinction between bank holidays and public holidays (at least in England) is historical. You'll see from the text quoted above that Christmas Day and Good Friday are not bank holidays in E&W. However, they are public holidays. This is because they were already traditional holidays when the concept of bank holidays was introduced by the Bank Holidays Act 1871. It was not (and still is not) considered necessary to give them the status of bank holidays. (However, they are bank holidays in Scotland.)

I know nothing about Victoria Day celebrations to which you refer, and accept that this might well be an informal public holiday in some areas.

Okay - as per flaneurs_lobster above. It's a bank holiday, but not a holiday for banks. These have become standardised for business purposes.

Local holidays in Scotland varied quite a bit, part of the idea being that towns would get trade from another town's occupants on local holidays and that would be reciprocated when you had your one. 

Victoria day was for Queen Victoria's birthday and has persisted in parts of the East Coast of Scotland. Victoria Day (Scotland) - Wikipedia  

Public sector workers get 10 or 12 public holidays, only 8 or so that are official ones and the rest that are agreed locally. Individual councils make their own arrangements.  It's interesting that your list doesn't have boxing day for Scotland, whereas the Scottish government list that Flaneurs posted does. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback