We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
2025 is going to be the year I knit a pair of socks, I have plenty of sock wool from Yarningham wool fair DD and I visited some years ago. I used to knit gloves on 4 needles, so socks should not be beyond me. There are just a few things to finish knitting first.
I bought a pair yesterday from my favourite knitter on eB, the yarn is King Cole, Zig Zag, Mayfly. I bought lovely alpaca socks and fingerless gloves from her during lockdown. I treasure them, it was such a bleak and lonely time.
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.546 -
Hi all,
@Nelliegrace that tea making sounds very organised
. I am not sure 3 pots a day would be enough for me
I am a proper tea pot
but I will give it a go
. OH is out most days working so I will try it with the small teapot and small flask and see how it goes.
Lovely socks
Take care everyone7 -
Those socks are lovely @Nelliegrace. No idea what you paid for them, but you got a bargain, when you consider that a pair of adult socks average 16 hours of knitting.
@Liverpool_Anne - I am surprised that the nurses didn't know about suitable diets for their patients' conditions but things have changed since my day and hospitals have less control over menu options than they did, since most catering is outsourced. (Diets were certainly in the syllabus when I trained in Australia, back in the 1980's.)
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag7 -
Hi all,
@PipneyJane I was gobsmacked by the nurses lack of knowledge , especially as everyone on the ward was there for gall bladder removal. Admittedly the patient was ordering her food from a limited list so really it was her lack of knowledge that was causing her to be ill. It took me a while to realise she was there for gall bladder removal as she was eating things I had not even looked at for over a year while waiting for the op
but then because she had been ill and lost her tea they offered biscuits and crisps 🤷. I suggested dry toast
. The patient was not really pleased with that suggestion but as I said I was supported by another patient and between us we managed to educate her. I was a bit surprised that her Dr hadn't already explained it but she wasn't the sort of person who asked questions, unlike me
and I suppose some medical people forget we don't all have their knowledge. I also think the system has changed, no longer having matrons, who were probably a font of knowledge, etc. At that time the ward was staffed by a lot of trainee nurses overseen during the day by a lovely nurse from the Philippines who was absolutely rushed off her feet 
Take care everyone9 -
It's very interesting though worrying that the hospital staff weren't aware of the effect of diet - but I can well believe it. When I had an op, I was transferred between wards and my luggage only followed me part of the way (fans of Disc World will see this differently). It still hadn't caught up next morning, meaning I had to refuse breakfast as I hadn't had my medication and I need at least half an hour between the medication and food or most drinks in order not to reduce its efficacy.
I don't think having a matron present would necessarily make a difference as training in dietetics seems to be minimal unless you are a professional dietician. I remember my son telling me during his nurse's training, that I'd enabled him to get a question about vitamin storage right. For some reason I'd told him the week before about different vitamins being stored in water or fat and I think he took it 'with a pinch of salt' (Mum's off on a hobby horse) till it came up in class! How much is remembered when they don't have to deal with this day to day, I don't know.
On the other hand I have a family member who's well qualified in this and works for the NHS, so the information is there - but possibly how it's used differs between hospitals.
I still haven't made any Olafs, by the way. DGD was unwell again yesterday.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/229 -
My lovely hand knitted socks arrived today.
I transferred some money to DD and she went with GS to let him choose casual, long trousers and a hooded jumper now he is thirteen. That saved my clothing coupons. The way he is growing they were lucky to find something to fit, the popular stores have children's and adult’s clothes. His younger brother gets hardly worn hand-me-downs.
They are having a meal at the local British Restaurant. It sounds like vegetables on baked bread with a little bit of cheese, a strange menu, but a change from rabbit.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.5411 -
Gosh, what a strange meal- I'd like to try a piece-o' thatNelliegrace said:
They are having a meal at the local British Restaurant. It sounds like vegetables on baked bread with a little bit of cheese, a strange menu, but a change from rabbit.
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);6 -
I think it might be Mediterranean, @Laura_Elsewhere, another way to feed a family on half an ounce of mousetrap cheese. It is not like our good Welsh rarebit, or that recipe on the wireless the other morning, for hacking the middle out of the grey, stale, National Loaf and filling it with cooked vegetables and white sauce. I think that recipe made even Woolton Pie sound appetising, though where can you get all that parsley in December?
I do like to listen to Gert and Daisy’s recipes on The Kitchen Front. (There are several of their recordings on YouTube, I like, G & D Make a Christmas Pudding.)
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.549 -
Well, I grow mine in the garden. It is in quite a sheltered position and is in open ground, not a pot. You need to grow quite a lot of it, though, to meet the requirements of the 1940s diet.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/768 -
Good evening all,
No new spends for me. My total for the year so far is...3 x yoga pants 6
4 x t-shirt 16
2 x tops 10
1 x trainers 5
1 x shoes 0 present
1 x cardigan 0 - sec hand
4 x jumpers 20
1 x t-shirt 4
1 x blouse 5
2 x jeans 12
78/66 spent
My DH has three new jumpers and a T-shirt for Christmas. These will come out if his coupon allowance. He did buy himself a pair of gym shorts. So his total 19 coupons plus the coupons for his shorts.
Will have to start to think about my clothing needs for next year. Trousers will probably be needed.
Have sold £31.50 in clothes and £16.00 worth of books. Shame you can't gain extra coupons when you sell items. 😀
2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge11
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

