We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Did you use a war-time recipe, Nelliegrace? Only I seem to remember Marguerite Patten saying that that war-time Christmas cakes couldn't be made too far in advance, but a week or two before. I think it was something to do with the amount of fat in the cake.
In which case, your cake has been made at the right time!
Mind you, Delia Smith has a Christmas cake recipe which could be made on Christmas Eve!Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/768 -
I usually use St Delia's cake recipe but I could try my Gran's Min of Food recipe leaflet, posted out to her home during the war...

2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);10 -
I used Delia’s recipe but with mixed dried fruit. I made a Christmas cake once with a jar of mincemeat. For some reason I didn’t save the recipe.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.546 -
I have been thinking about coupons for slippers, @Laura_Elsewhere, and found details of these 1940s sewing pattern.
There were quite a few British, Economy Design patterns available in the online second hand shops.

Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.5410 -
I hunted for 100% cotton lingerie too @thriftwizard. It has gone colder and I am wearing my old, short sleeved, plain cotton camisoles, which were labelled as T-shirts. I have some which were labelled Men’s, which have higher necklines, long sleeves, and longer bodies. They are warmer than my strappy cotton vests. I found 100% ladies lingerie, cotton vests and camisoles or spencers, (and 100% cotton, thigh length panties, and long johns,) on eB and Amazon, by Gabrielle, Snowdrop, White Swan, and Slenderella/Vedonis.
M&S do cotton for men and children under 14, and some skinny sizes. Women of an age to appreciate cotton have to sweat in synthetic junk. “Cotton Rich,” means really that it is cotton poor. An advertisers con.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.548 -
Well said @Nelliegrace. I totally agree. (As does my DH, who has been known to complain loudly - in store - when he can’t find 100% cotton tee-shirts or boxers or dress-shirts.)Nelliegrace said:I hunted for 100% cotton lingerie too @thriftwizard. It has gone colder and I am wearing my old, short sleeved, plain cotton camisoles, which were labelled as T-shirts. I have some which were labelled Men’s, which have higher necklines, long sleeves, and longer bodies. They are warmer than my strappy cotton vests. I found 100% ladies lingerie, cotton vests and camisoles or spencers on eB, by Gabrielle, White Swan, and Slenderella/Vedonis.
M&S do cotton for men and children under 14, and some skinny sizes. Women of an age to appreciate cotton have to sweat in synthetic junk. “Cotton Rich,” means really that it is cotton poor. An advertisers con.
Also, I am in awe of your skill at finding wartime sewing patterns. It never occurred to me that there would be any available secondhand.
- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag9 -
We are going to see a film at a local village Memorial Hall this afternoon. There will be an interval, with tea and a biscuit. (Someone had made mince pies to have with our tea.)

It was his first film after gruelling years flying bombers in WW2.
https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/jimmy-stewart-ww2-mission-air-force/
Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.549 -
@PipneyJane, I don’t sew much now, so I left the patterns for others to buy.
There were 1940s dress patterns too, but rationing gave many children a better diet so a lot of us are bigger built, bigger boned, than the patterns allow.On the other hand, following ration quantities, cooking from scratch, and eating my greens, has got my weight and waist back to normal.
This was an interesting programme, BBC 2, Why We Can’t Stop Eating, presented by Dr Chris van Tulleken.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.549 -
Being both female and these days a size 22, sometimes 24, means undies are a nightmare- all manufacturers are quite certain that I a) must want constricting thus most is Shapewear, b) must want lycra-heavy jersey-knit stretchy stuff...Nelliegrace said:I hunted for 100% cotton lingerie too @thriftwizard. It has gone colder and I am wearing my old, short sleeved, plain cotton camisoles, which were labelled as T-shirts. I have some which were labelled Men’s, which have higher necklines, long sleeves, and longer bodies. They are warmer than my strappy cotton vests. I found 100% ladies lingerie, cotton vests and camisoles or spencers on eB, by Gabrielle, White Swan, and Slenderella/Vedonis.
M&S do cotton for men and children under 14, and some skinny sizes. Women of an age to appreciate cotton have to sweat in synthetic junk. “Cotton Rich,” means really that it is cotton poor. An advertisers con.
I have ended up wearing shorts as knickers- actual shorts, sewn in woven viscose fabric, sold by Primark and Morrison's ('Nutmeg') as summer outer garments! Their size 20 shorts fit fine as undies on me.
For camisoles, I have several I have made, using rectangles of pure linen and crocheted yokes, one from a 1919 pattern, others just made up and more simple.
It makes a huge difference wearing loose woven material that doesn't have any synthetic, not even a few per cent. My hot flushes were a frequent occurrence but not at all unpleasant, and I put that down to wearing 100% linen camisoles and blouses (secondhand M&S on eBay), and loose woven-viscose knicks...
@PipneyJane - yes, vintage patterns are a huge thing inc wartime ones- but all in teensy sizes. I'm cheeky and look for images showing the pattern-pieces laid out in the cutting diagram, and then I can draft my own, knowing the construction... haven't done that in quite a few years but I do hope to draft myself a pair of 1930s-style tailored shorts for the gym next year...2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);9 -
Mum said they all had to make a pair of pants to learn to sew the different seams, in their first sewing lessons at senior school in the 1930s. She learnt how to adapt a pattern to fit well, and made her own suits. She made our wedding and bridesmaid dresses.
@Laura_Elsewhere, One frugal blogger mentioned that she found boys cotton underpants were better quality and far more comfortable to wear.
One could stitch up that pocket on loose fit cotton boxer shorts.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.5411
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
