We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Lovely stories, thank you all for sharing those.Have to declare six coupons, on 3m fabric. I decided to make a cotton dress. Not my best work, I rushed it a bit in places but it’s turned out ok - however I think I made a bad choice of pattern, I just don’t really like it now it’s finished! Rather annoying as that’s coupons and a lot of time spent on something I can’t see myself wearing. Although I’m sure I have learned a few new sewing skills.I’ll have a think about whether I can (a) modify it at all to make it more wearable; (b) donate it (not sure it’s good enough quality for that) or (c) make a dress for my three-year old great-niece. I think (c) is winning at the moment.Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.7
-
Oh dear, turn my back for a week (mostly spent doing stitched shibori dyeing in Wales, on reclaimed curtain lining, whilst house-&-pet sitting) and there are 57 posts to catch up with! Laters, my dears...
I nearly fell whilst there, though; it's always a couple of degrees cooler up there, and I just hadn't factored in that the temperature was already pretty low for the time of year, when packing. I'd taken jeans, lightweight leggings for lounging and shorts for gardening, so had to choose between wearing my one pair of jeans all week - the others were in the wash when I left - or freezing. Then I had to pop to the big Tesc0 in Haverfordwest... oh, they do clothes, there's a big department upstairs... maybe a pair of tracksuit bottoms? Luckily, I wouldn't have given you £5 for any of the thin, cheap-feeling ones they had in my (very standard) size, never mind the £20 on the price tag, so I left with just a few groceries & wrapped a blanket round my legs that evening. Next day, I raided the charity shops and came out with a smashing pair of green muslin trousers for £2 and a pair of M&S linen/cotton ones in navy for another £2, both of which have exactly the right hint of warmth & comfort without being winter-weight. I also picked up a large piece of joined tweedy-looking fabric with velcro all down one side, which was in the "3 for £1" bin; I insisted on giving them £1 for just the one piece, because I knew I was going to sell it on, and can even tell you who will buy it! Imagine my surprise when I burn-tested a snippet from the hem back at DS1's - it's actually wool. So I got 2 x 2m lengths of pure wool suiting for £1 and no coupons... I do love Haverfordwest!Angie - GC Sept 26 £375.07/£450: 2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 29/66: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)10 -
Ooh, @thriftwizard, I think I will have to put Haverfordwest on my list of places to visit! The wool suiting was a wonderful bargain, but the trousers both sounds like wardrobe staples to me: had I bought them, I'd be getting a lot of wear out of them.
You reminded me of my charity shop emergency holiday buys last September when I forgot to put my case in the car. I'm not sure I remember them all and I know I didn't keep the tee shirts, but the PJs have been used quite a bit, the grey wrap/poncho is lovely and has been used a few times when I want to feel 'dressed up', the jeans have had a lot of wear but won't last long (stretchy denim is pulling out of shape) and the merino cardigan that I only got because it was merino turns out to look very good with something I'd not thought of...
There was also a shirt which in theory is a 'good' make but I've only worn it a couple of times. Somehow it doesn't seem quite at ease with my other things, probably because the light blue doesn't show up well with jeans.
I feel I did very well from my holiday buys, unplanned though they were. Hope you get lots of use from yours, too, thriftwizard!I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/227 -
Good shopping @thriftwizard, especially the 4m of pure wool suiting for £1.
I’m back from France, a bit earlier than planned. We had to drive back yesterday and down to Somerset. DH got a text message from his sister on Thursday evening; she’d found their mum unconscious on the floor of her flat, called an ambulance and she was admitted to their local(ish) hospital. MIL may have been on the floor for 12 hours, possibly longer. No idea how she ended up on the floor but she isn’t strong enough to get up so probably wore herself out, leading to a build up of CO2 in her body, leaving her unconscious. The hospital put her on oxygen via a CPAP mask. She was confused for 24-ish hours but has gradually returned to normal, and they’re now weaning her off the CPAP, while leaving her on 2L of oxygen via a nasal cannula. We spent most of today with her and she improved before our eyes.
This is MIL’s second admission for respiratory problems, this year. My nurse’s instinct tells me that there will be more, because she only ever gets back to 80% of her previous physicality each time and she’s been visibly frail since the Lockdowns in 2020. She was a smoker and they mentioned today that she has COPD. (I am not surprised, but this is the first time any of us had heard her diagnosis.)
DH is doing OK. His sister was a bit teary with relief earlier, when speaking to the doctor. Don’t know yet how long we’ll be down here or how long she’ll be in hospital.
- Pip (Forgive me later, if I rant about the need to exercise and maintain muscle strength. )"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag9 -
Oh lord, @PipneyJane! What a ghastly end to your little trip, and what a grim long drive that must have been... good that she is on the mend, but yes, these things rarely stop at once or twice, sadly.
At least you all get some time to think and plan and make good decisions together!
Mr E's ex is approaching this situation, only the one fall thus far, but yes, imo it's bound to happen again, and she currently lives alone in a house that is dreadfully badly-arranged for anyone not fit and active! Poor young Master E is having to try to persuade her that she needs to start thinking now about where she'll be in about 18 months' time, because if she has too many more incidents then she'll find she just has to go into a home and won't necessarily be able to choose, at short notice, where and what sort, what level of independent living, etc... better by far to make her own decision, make her own choices...
(If it pleases you, having joined the gym in February specifically to work on strength and on balancing out my uneven muscle-strength, my legs are now able to do 100kg as of yesterday, on the seated leg-press machine. I am very pleased about it- not least because actually I cycled two miles on a heavy (22.5kg) old-fashioned 5-gear bike, including up steep hills, walked half a mile, then swam 300m, walked the half-mile back to the gym, did a full workout of legs-machines and squats, ending with the leg-press where I did two setsa of 12 reps on 60kg, then 6 reps on 70, 6 on 80, and then decided to go for it and managed 100kg for three slow but steady reps- and THEN cycled two miles home inc one long slow killer-uphill!
) 2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);9 -
How very stressful for you all, @PipneyJane. I do hope your Mother in Law continues to improve and you all feel 'safe' to go back home soon.
Rant away about exercise and maintaining muscles: my son in law, who does these things for a living, says exactly the same. Keep it, build it if you can. Certainly now I've hit my sixties and gone from a post-viral slump and taken a very physical job and lots of walking, my health is as good as it's been in a long time and I'm hoping to help compensate for a tendency to poor bone density.
And how are you feeling Pip?
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/229 -
And by way of a P.S. for @Laura_Elsewhere and other O Douglas readers: I've now finished 'Pink Sugar' which was a lot better than I expected from the title! The first one I read was 'The House that is our own' and the second was 'Penny Plain', then 'Jane's Parlour' - so now I'm deep into the Borders circa 1920.
Such a different world from ours: the past is indeed a foreign country and I'm enjoying a little holiday there.
I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/227 -
Oh dear me, how awful for you, @PipneyJane. It must have been quite a shock to you and a difficult journey wondering what you would find once you got there. Thankfully your MIL is improving, but there are some decisions to be made.... Hope things work out well for all of you.
Wow @Laura_Elsewhere, that was some workout! WELL DONE!!!
I'm working on being able to squat again, to be able to get into the cupboards and the fridge under the counter without having to crawl on my hands and knees. 😏2026 Fashion on the ration
Anorak = 11 coupons... total 11 used/66
Light anorak = 9 coupons...total used 20/66
3 t-shirts = 12 coupons...32/66
Sandals = 5 coupons...37/66 used6 -
I seem to have cross posted with you yet again! That's a lot of exercise @Laura_Elsewhere, I'm impressed.Laura_Elsewhere said:(If it pleases you, having joined the gym in February specifically to work on strength and on balancing out my uneven muscle-strength, my legs are now able to do 100kg as of yesterday, on the seated leg-press machine. I am very pleased about it- not least because actually I cycled two miles on a heavy (22.5kg) old-fashioned 5-gear bike, including up steep hills, walked half a mile, then swam 300m, walked the half-mile back to the gym, did a full workout of legs-machines and squats, ending with the leg-press where I did two setsa of 12 reps on 60kg, then 6 reps on 70, 6 on 80, and then decided to go for it and managed 100kg for three slow but steady reps- and THEN cycled two miles home inc one long slow killer-uphill!
)
I hope Mr E's ex takes the advice and makes some good decisions.I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
@Laura_Elsewhere that story had me in tears. I was trying to catch up but failed due to the tears.
I've been to Normandy a few times on work trips many years ago and every time ended up in tears. I'll go back and catch up properly.
PS No coupons spent since last posted although nearly derailed by a pair of shorts. But then i thought, do I really want to spend my coupons on these? Are they gorgeous enough? Do I look fabulous enough? And I put them back as the answer was a resounding no!
I have bought riding boots to replace my riding boots and a jacket for showing but I specifically left my riding clothes off the challenge (and i have sold two items from riding clothes pile and thrown away the old boots that were beyond repair so I'm winning on the cutter front too).Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became
In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!6
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


