We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
OMG @Laura_Elsewhere! I’m glad that OlderNiece and her friends are safe and saddened that they have to go through this. Big hugs.Laura_Elsewhere said:My Older Niece is living through a bit of wartime experience- she is now safely working on Vancouver Island, but for her first year in Canada, she lived and worked in a small town, Jasper, Alberta, which was almost solely a ski resort in winter and popular with campers in the surrounding national park in summer... she only moved a few months ago.
Last year when we worried about wildfires, she airily assured us that because Jasper brings in so much money to the district, they make sure it's never at risk of burning, and sure enough the wildfires were kept at bay.
This year, that approach has failed for the first time ever. Everyone has now been evacuated, literally everyone, and all her friends are not only homeless but jobless as well, as the entire town looks as if it will burn. ON's old work has burnt down, the coffee-shop she loved has burnt down, literally street by street the entire town is going.
She is very badly shocked- as are we but hugely thankful she wasn't there!! - but the photos she has sent from her friends' doorbell-cameras before they were burnt are very frightening- it's very like the photos from the Blitz, the way completely normal bits of everyday life like a mailbox are clear and untouched in the foreground with a raging orange mass immediately behind and only the structural lines of buildings visible in the flames...
I don't know what they will do in Jasper- I know in the US, one or two towns have been obliterated in this way, but jings, it's horrible seeing it when it's somewhere we've all grown just that bit familiar with...
Having grown up with bushfires, Rule One is never to be complacent. The winds that accompany them are intense and a fire can spread very fast. The 1983 Victorian bushfires were in the Dandenong Mountains, 25-ish miles from home. Whole towns obliterated (Emerald, Churchill); others badly damaged (Healesville, Ferntree Gully). We had embers landing in our garden 25 miles away!
I’ve also had the horror of seeing a school friend’s unusual surname listed on a memorial to fallen firemen, in the background of a piece-to-camera on the BBC, during another Australian bushfire season. Fortunately, they responded to my email, and the person listed wasn’t him.
- Pip
PS: FWIW, Rule Two is have your go bag/car packed and ensure it includes the irreplaceable, e.g. the wedding album. (The 2001-2 fires got close to one of my friend’s homes. She packed her car with stuff for her baby son, her wedding album and family photos.). Rule 3 is about preventative gardening - short grass and no trees near the house - and Rule 4 is about stopping the fire taking hold."Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag5 -
@Laura_Elsewhere - thank you for the information about the fire in Jasper. I have cousins up there. I have been to four family reunions up in that area. Will be adding my prayers and hugs for everyone up there.7
-
Sorry to hear about Jasper, although its good news that ON and her friends are safe. I hope that the residents have the courage and determination to let Jasper rise again from the ashes.Sealed Pot Challenge no 14
Fashion on the Ration - 66 + 10 carried forward.
3 bras 3/76, + Tevas 8/76 + shorts 14/76 2 pairs of flipflops 24/76 2 bras 26/76 2 pairs black trousers 36/766 -
Yes, sorry to hear about Jasper. My DH and I spent four lovely days there around 2018. We took the Rocky Mountaineer Train from Vancouver to Jasper. Then boarded the Via Rail Train to Winnipeg, where we flew up to Churchill to see the polar bears and Beluga whales. We then flew to Toronto where we went to visit an elderly aunt.

I took this landscape picture just outside Jasper. We went on an early evening trip to see a various wildlife.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge8 -
This is the latest news re Jasper: https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/25/jasper-alberta-canada-wildfire?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Wish we were closer, so that we could offer immediate help.- Pip"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.'
It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!
2026 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 92.5 spent out of 80.5 coupons (66 plus 14.5 from 2025) 12 over
57.5 coupons - yarn
12 coupons - 3 M&S thermal bodies
4 coupons - shorty pyjamas
1 coupon - bra
8 coupons - 2 t-shirts (Queens Club & 10CC Cricket)
5 coupons - black leather loafers
5 coupons - leather handbag4 -
I suppose during the war people were constantly saying they’d read of bombing devastating places they love- and without breaking the No Politics rule, obviously in many parts of the world still…
…but we are very fortunate here in Much Mending on the Borrow- no bombs to speak of in this district!2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);4 -
So much sad news, but homes can be rebuilt, and trees replanted.
And in my daily 1940 newspaper on Wednesday this was the headline.
A pot of tea is an essential part of coping.
We have challenged ourselves to see how many cups of tea we can get out of the pot, topping it up with boiling water as we go on.
I suppose we shall get used to some herb teas. The mints have done well this year, and so have the nettles with all of the rain here.
Our WI group is having a Teddy Bear’s Picnic, with tea and sandwiches, for the August meeting. It will be in the little park by the Church Hall if the sun shines, and indoors if it rains. It seems such a cheerful idea, our Holiday at Home.

Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.546 -
I've been quiet for a couple of days till I'd seen the Sewing Bee! All the finalists had such talent.
And Jasper... I see they've had some rain so I hope that damps things down. It makes me realise how very fragile our connection to our possessions is. No lives lost that they know of, which is a blessing - but so hard for all those concerned.
And @Nelliegrace - tea rationing! Mind you, five million pounds of tea per week to keep the nation supplied:
How ever did they manage to import so much? And no, I'm pretty sure that's not where Yorkshire Tea originated! I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
Bought a linen shirt / dress from a secondhand shop today from the same place that I have sold two clothing items. So I walked out of the shop with the top / dress and £5.00 😀 No coupons used.2025 Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
2025 Frugal challenge6 -
Hi everyone, I'm new here and very late to the challenge but if I join from August I've calculated that would be 27 ration coupons for the rest of the year. Can I join in?
Basically I've walked into the village hall to find the local make do and mend group, clutching a worn out old evening frock and my sewing box, realising I really must make my clothes go further.
9
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


