Strange issue with British Gas supply

swingaloo
swingaloo Posts: 2,649
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
My brother is in a rented property which did have a coin meter installed. That was taken out over 12 months ago and a new gas meter fitted and also a smart meter display. 
The meter and display are not working together and British Gas have sent someone out to look at it twice now. The meter itself is showing 0 units used since it was fitted and according to the display he has used zero gas in 12 months.
He doesnt seem to care as in his words 'The person who came out said not to worry about it as it was their fault the meter was not recording properly'. 
He has paid for no gas for over 12 months now but the meter shows zero usage. 
He is confident he will not get hit with a bill as there is no usage showing and the person from British Gas has just said 'Not your problem'. 
Personally I think he should be contacting them constantly to sort this out but he says that as they know about the problem he wont. I think he is heading for a massive bill but he wont have it. 
Is it feasible that Britich Gas have just not got their act together.

Comments

• Yes BG are a hard act to follow 
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,305
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't bother contacting BG "constantly" but I would contact them regularly - maybe once every few months.  Just to remind them.  And record that details of how the contact is made so if they do come back with a bill for silly money he can point out that he'd tried to get this rectified on the following dates....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie said:
    I wouldn't bother contacting BG "constantly" but I would contact them regularly - maybe once every few months.  Just to remind them.  And record that details of how the contact is made so if they do come back with a bill for silly money he can point out that he'd tried to get this rectified on the following dates....
    Agreed - the important thing is that he can't be charged for use more than 12 months ago (back billing) IF he can show he's notified them of the problem/not caused the problem and acted reasonably (hence suggesting contacting them at least a couple of times a year). 

The thing he should be aware of is, when they do manage to fix the problem and issue him a bill, they can bill him for estimated usage for the previous 12 months (he can disagree with the calculation by suggesting an alternative way of working it out, but not that the money is owed), so he would be sensible to have a rough idea of what his annual bill is and keep that in an account ready. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback