Shares Question (Lost contract note)

I bought a lot of shares back in 2008, in NatWest (Then RBS), then they went pop!
I have kept hold of the investment and now want to sell so I can offset the capital loss as I am selling my investment property and will have a heavy tax bill. 
I can't find my contract note anywhere so have no record. Also there have been a couple of script issues, if I remember correctly. 
Does anyone know if I can contact the registrar? Will they have my purchase details on file?

Thanks in advance

Bruno

Comments

• wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,115
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Brunokid said:
    I bought a lot of shares back in 2008, in NatWest (Then RBS), then they went pop!
    I have kept hold of the investment and now want to sell so I can offset the capital loss as I am selling my investment property and will have a heavy tax bill. 
    I can't find my contract note anywhere so have no record. Also there have been a couple of script issues, if I remember correctly. 
    Does anyone know if I can contact the registrar? Will they have my purchase details on file?

Thanks in advance

Bruno
    How did you buy them? 
  • wmb194 said:
    Brunokid said:

Thanks in advance

Bruno
    How did you buy them? 
    The wife works for NatWest. She bought them on the share machine at work
  • wmb194
    Forumite
    edited 27 December 2023 at 6:35PM
    Brunokid said:
    wmb194 said:
    Brunokid said:

Thanks in advance

Bruno
    How did you buy them? 
    The wife works for NatWest. She bought them on the share machine at work
    I've no idea what that is. Is there a process to interrogate this, "share machine"? Are they held in certificated form or electronically by a broker? I'm thinking that you need to ask your broker. If the broker was also the share registrar e.g., Equiniti then it might know.
  • They are held in certificate form
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,211
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What's a share machine ?  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,281
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If she was working there is it possible it was part of a share save/purchase scheme??

And if she bought them aren't they hers to sell and get the loss/profit?
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • wmb194
    Forumite
    Another option might be to look for an old bank statement to find the transaction(s) relating to the purchase(s). Depending on your bank you might be able to find it by looking at online banking.
  • Hoenir said:
    What's a share machine ?  
    Employees used the machine to purchase shares for the general public. It went a long time ago
  • Brie said:
    If she was working there is it possible it was part of a share save/purchase scheme??

And if she bought them aren't they hers to sell and get the loss/profit?
    No she bought them for me
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,853
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    For this to be a worthwhile exercise (offsetting a sizeable capital gain), then presumably the sum of money used to buy the shares was considerable, so there should be some record of it?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback