We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How do Virgin install their BB?

Options
Jon_01
Jon_01 Posts: 5,875 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 23 December 2023 at 12:49PM in Broadband & internet access
I'm thinking of moving from BT to Virgin when the Jan sale offers go live (if there are any!).

Can anyone that's had Virgin as a new install let me know how flexible they are with their cabling?
We had the front of our house relaid at the start of the year and don't want some half wit digging up the membrane, slate and slabs we've just paid to have laid. So will they go round the edge or do they insist on going in a straight line?

Thanks...

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They will take the path of least resistance.  Beware of what they promise, VM's customer service is a shambles.  They will promise you anything but seldom deliver.  Have a look at their user forum.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 December 2023 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Jon_01 said:
    I'm thinking of moving from BT to Virgin when the Jan sale offers go live (if there are any!).

Can anyone that's had Virgin as a new install let me know how flexible they are with their cabling?
    We had the front of our house relaid at the start of the year and don't want some half wit digging up the membrane, slate and slabs we've just paid to have laid. So will they go round the edge or do they insist on going in a straight line?

Thanks...
    If they have there ducts installed in your area you should be able identify  the current terminal point for your property and it may be shared with your neighbour it is usually a small black plastic box approximately 150mm x 50mm then take a straight line to where you want it to enter your property bearing in mind it will require a power source
    When they where installing  the ducts in the footpath I asked them to move the terminal point so that it would be in line with where it would enter the house but they said they could not alter the location due to it being shared with neighbour.
    I have seen cable laid that would not be a spades depth below finish level both Virgin and Openreach 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 24 December 2023 at 12:50PM
    Options
    35har1old said:
    Jon_01 said:
    If they have there ducts installed in your area you should be able identify  the current terminal point for your property and it may be shared with your neighbour it is usually a small black plastic box approximately 150mm x 50mm then take a straight line to where you want it to enter your property bearing in mind it will require a power source
    And with this in mind, it would have made sense for the OP to have had a duct installed before the gront farden was relaid. Sadly, that ship has now sailed.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 December 2023 at 11:49AM
    Options
    Thanks all.

The terminal point was already installed before we moved in and it's at the centre of the property, if they go in a straight line then it would cut right across the area we've had relaid.
    Having read the complete dog's breakfast, they can make when they install, I've crossed them off the list.
    I'll go with a company that can use the existing Open Reach connection.

Thanks again...
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    A gront farden ??
    😁😁😁😁
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    A gront farden ??
    😁😁😁😁
    A farden for gronting in :D
    I could edit the post to fix the typo, but I don't think I will now!
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Jon_01 said:
    Thanks all.

The terminal point was already installed before we moved in and it's at the centre of the property, if they go in a straight line then it would cut right across the area we've had relaid.
    Having read the complete dog's breakfast, they can make when they install, I've crossed them off the list.
    I'll go with a company that can use the existing Open Reach connection.

Thanks again...
    Is it in a suitable place for the router ?
    The router requires a power source as well as the fibre 
    In my case the original BT entry point was behind the front door I  relied on ext to have a suitable location for the router as there was no power source so when having fibre installed Openreach had to reroute out of the original duct outside the front door in lawn cable was basically laid 100mm deep and then across paviored path to rise into exterior connection  box then through wall to final position 
  • Vannaa
    Vannaa Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Used Virgin twice and both times they installed the cable where I wanted it. First time was up the front of the property (two storey maisonette above a restaurant) into the living room and also into a bedroom above that room. Second time they ran the cable down the side of a detached house and drilled through the wall into a cupboard under the stairs.
  • mda99das
    mda99das Posts: 171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ask for a pre install. The engineer gave me the cable and  I did it myself and got the job done the way I wanted. He came back 2 weeks later to hook everything up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure