PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Inspire me for Christmas Eve?

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,764 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 December 2023 at 8:22PM in Old style MoneySaving
For those that don’t have a big family meal on Christmas Eve, what are you planning to eat. 
I’m thinking something lighter before the blow out of the next couple of days, but I’m bored with everything I normally cook and salad doesn’t appeal in winter.

Hit me with your suggestions.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,152 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never done anything special for Xmas Eve. I usually spend the day if not working prepping veg, wrapping the end of presents and stocking items. . Normally something that can go from freezer - oven - plate. Take-aways never appeal cos of the wait. What about some nibbly bits?  , 
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    5 years ago I was living in Gran Canaria and ate a burger on the beach, so did many others 
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last year I think it was cheese on toast followed by first slice of christmas cake.

The year before could have been fish finger butties followed by first slice of christmas cake.

If I remember to pull them out the freezer, this year will be sausage butties followed by first slice of christmas cake

Basically bread and cake!

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Pasta with pesto

Fajitas

Fritatta

Beans on toast

Steak Frites

I don't have a big family meal anytime ;)

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 December 2023 at 8:52PM
    Options
    We never had a big meal Christmas Eve but my father always made little sausage rolls and small corned beef pasties, so I'll be making those this year. Then we'd have a kind of buffet free for all, or a chinese takeaway or something with chips, maybe the cooked ham with some fried eggs...we never had something intricate because the kitchen was reserved for the turkey prep [ usually a massive one that cooked overnight in the oven] and all the other prep and it wasn't a big kitchen.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I cook our gammon on Christmas Eve and we'll have some of that with dauphinois potatoes and cauliflower cheese. The rest will be eaten cold over the coming days. 
  • Marmaduke123
    Options
    We have mussels and French bread. Very quick, easy, and light.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Christmas eve means fish pie in my home, prepped in the morning & chucked in the oven when I get home from tea-time drinks with my friends. It has prawns, salmon, smoked & unsmoked haddock tucked under a mashed potato top.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ham, egg and sweet potato wedges (it used to be chips but we’ve moved with the times).
  • PaulieHerts
    Options
    I cook my gammon on Christmas Eve and we used to have that as a roast or with egg and chips. The last couple of years we’ve had sausage and mash and onion gravy and OH has requested that again this year 😊🎄
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback