Oil Rayburn

Options
Hi,

We have just put in an application for a rental that we really love but it has a Rayburn that I know nothing about so would like some information before we put down a deposit.

So far we know that it is definitely a Rayburn and not another brand, it is oil fired and heats the house and a hot water tank, we’re not sure how old it is though.

I’m wondering the following:

How efficient are these cookers?
How much do they cost to run?
Do we have to keep it on all the time?
If we don’t want the heating on, say in summer, does that mean we have no hot water?

Any help or extra info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    My experience is with a wood-fired Rayburn, but I'll offer some suggested answers.
    sophannef said:
    I’m wondering the following:
    • How efficient are these cookers?
    • How much do they cost to run?
    • Do we have to keep it on all the time?
    • If we don’t want the heating on, say in summer, does that mean we have no hot water?
    Efficency? Not great, probably 70-80% whereas a condensing boiler will manage 90% or more.
    Costs? Heating oil prices vary but the latest price quoted in this thread is about 70p/litre. There are 10kWh in a litre of oil, so that's 7p/kWh. A similar fuel price to mains gas.
    Always on? No, you can let it go out in summer months when you don't want the space heating.
    Hot water?  You'll have a hot water tank and that should have an immersion heater that you can use instead.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Efficiency will also depend on whether it is a purpose made oil Rayburn, or a converted solid-fuel one. I'd avoid the latter. I once  had a house with an oil converted Aga and it was a lot of bother to maintain.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 December 2023 at 6:19PM
    Options
    So far we know that it is definitely a Rayburn and not another brand, it is oil fired and heats the house and a hot water tank, we’re not sure how old it is though.
    With a few caveats, generally AGAs did cooking only and Rayburns did everything.    (caveats being custom modifications or rare short lived models which also tend to be very inefficient which is why they didnt take off)

Our burner has been gone for nearly a decade but it would run from around October to April with the immersion heater used the remainder of the time.      Many houses with oil/coal based heating also have woodburners as secondary heating which can be cheaper in Spring/Autumn compared to firing up the burner.  Have you checked for secondary heating options as well as an immersion heater?

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback