Lufthansa London-Frankfurt-Buenos Aires

Options
Hi all - my wife and I turned up at LHR on 27th November 2023 only to discover the two flights from LHR-FRA-EZE were cancelled (we were rebooked onto flights 24hrs later). I tried to reclaim my statutory allowance + my £200 taxi expenses. Lufthansa replied: we'll pay your expenses €200 (i.e.,  not GBP!) but not compensation because the flights were cancelled due to weather. that's absolute rubbish: there airlines were flying that day, including an earlier flight from Lufthansa! How do I 'get them'?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    While it's true that extraordinary circumstances (including "meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned") negate airlines' liability to pay out compensation, they should provide a more meaningful justification than "due to weather", so probably worth pushing back and seeking more detail, bearing in mind that the adverse weather wasn't necessarily at Heathrow.

Ultimately if you're unable to convince them to pay out and still feel that you have a case then you can take it to the German ADR body listed in their Ts & Cs....
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There were thunderstorms, heavy rain and strong winds forecast for Buenos Aires at the time of your flight. That may well be the reason for the cancellations. 
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Frankfurt airport had significant snowfall at the end of November.  Flights were delayed and cancelled due to demands on de icing equipment.
  • LawsonSteele
    Options
    thanks all - how can I see historic weather at different locations?
    I would also point out that Luf had their systems down when I turned up at the airport - in fact they had a system outage most of the day (not sure when it ended) which I suspect was the real reason (or low level of passenger bookings on the flights)
  • LawsonSteele
    Options
    also, does anyone know which ombudsman to complain to please?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    also, does anyone know which ombudsman to complain to please?
    There isn't an ombudsman that covers this, so the escalation route is the German ADR body mentioned earlier, unless you can convince the CAA to take it on (they generally only do so for airlines without a nominated ADR provider).
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I'm currently going through ADR for a Lufthansa delay claim. The ADR is SOP at https://soep-online.de/en/

I started my claim in September after getting a deadlock response from Lufthansa. I was expecting a response in December - but they've just sent me a holding statement by email informing me they have a long backlog due to resourcing and number of recent claims so it will take much longer, so you should get it started asap if that is what you're doing...
  • LawsonSteele
    Options
    thanks SamDude - how do you go about checking flying weather conditions in the destinations on the cancelled date? presumably you have to quote those for the ADR SOP?
  • SamDude
    SamDude Posts: 435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure