The Great Offgem Ripoff

2»

Comments

  • wrf12345 said:
    I repeat, Ofgem has no interest in consumers...

    That definitely seems to be true, but I wonder if things may change now they've got a "consumer champion" on their board?
    Only a non-exec, so presumably without that much clout, but the addition of Warren Buckley (former chair of Citizens Advice) to the board of Ofgem might help change the balance.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    wrf12345 said:
    I repeat, Ofgem has no interest in consumers...
    Just like all the other so-called regulators and watchdogs.
  • It's dominated by people who have either worked in the energy industry or similar big businesses, banks, etc, or who have held senior posts in government closely connected with industry.  There's very little consumer representation at all, so it's inevitable that Ofgem is likely to work to protect the interests of the energy industry and it's mates within government.
    Whilst it's clearly important that Ofgem has a clear understanding of the way the energy industry works, the balance between that and understanding the needs of consumers seems to be way off.  Probably explains why regulation doesn't seem to be working well from a consumer perspective.  I also wonder quite how much all this fairly ineffective regulation costs the taxpayer.  Doesn't look to be particularly good value for money.


  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    SIR – I am 81 and live in a one-bedroom, sheltered-housing flat. I haven’t put on my central heating this winter. I simply wear more clothes, or, if sitting for any length of time, snuggle under a heated throw, which is economical and heats me but not the room.

    I understand that my reward for this frugality is to give £16 to someone who has enjoyed being warm and got into debt. Apparently I have no say in the matter. It would appear that the only way I can object to this injustice is to turn up the thermostat, enjoy the sauna, get into debt and let others bail me out.

    Well I'm 83 and thats where the similarity ends

    I put my heating on when I'm not warm enough, I don't struggle to pay the DD I'm £400 in credit, I have savings, I have no intention of getting into debt but 

    What's stopping  me from asking for a payment plan because I can't afford the debt I am about to go into and let someone else pay
  • JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 December 2023 at 12:07PM
    MikeJXE said:
    SIR – I am 81 and live in a one-bedroom, sheltered-housing flat. I haven’t put on my central heating this winter. I simply wear more clothes, or, if sitting for any length of time, snuggle under a heated throw, which is economical and heats me but not the room.

    I understand that my reward for this frugality is to give £16 to someone who has enjoyed being warm and got into debt. Apparently I have no say in the matter. It would appear that the only way I can object to this injustice is to turn up the thermostat, enjoy the sauna, get into debt and let others bail me out.

    Well I'm 83 and thats where the similarity ends

    I put my heating on when I'm not warm enough, I don't struggle to pay the DD I'm £400 in credit, I have savings, I have no intention of getting into debt but 

    What's stopping  me from asking for a payment plan because I can't afford the debt I am about to go into and let someone else pay

    Worth noting that the original post at the start of this thread is quoting from a letter published in a newspaper, and those words you've quoted aren't from the original poster here but from that letter.
    It might have been clearer had the original poster added quotation tags or marks around the published letter he included, to differentiate his own content from it.
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JSHarris said:
    MikeJXE said:
    SIR – I am 81 and live in a one-bedroom, sheltered-housing flat. I haven’t put on my central heating this winter. I simply wear more clothes, or, if sitting for any length of time, snuggle under a heated throw, which is economical and heats me but not the room.

    I understand that my reward for this frugality is to give £16 to someone who has enjoyed being warm and got into debt. Apparently I have no say in the matter. It would appear that the only way I can object to this injustice is to turn up the thermostat, enjoy the sauna, get into debt and let others bail me out.

    Well I'm 83 and thats where the similarity ends

    I put my heating on when I'm not warm enough, I don't struggle to pay the DD I'm £400 in credit, I have savings, I have no intention of getting into debt but 

    What's stopping  me from asking for a payment plan because I can't afford the debt I am about to go into and let someone else pay

    Worth noting that the original post at the start of this thread is quoting from a letter published in a newspaper, and those words you've quoted aren't from the original poster here but from that letter.
    It might have been clearer had the original poster added quotation tags or marks around the published letter he included, to differentiate his own content from it.
    I understood that but my question is what's stopping anyone (who wants to) getting into debt by not paying the bill and others having to pay. 
  • MikeJXE said:
    JSHarris said:
    MikeJXE said:
    SIR – I am 81 and live in a one-bedroom, sheltered-housing flat. I haven’t put on my central heating this winter. I simply wear more clothes, or, if sitting for any length of time, snuggle under a heated throw, which is economical and heats me but not the room.

    I understand that my reward for this frugality is to give £16 to someone who has enjoyed being warm and got into debt. Apparently I have no say in the matter. It would appear that the only way I can object to this injustice is to turn up the thermostat, enjoy the sauna, get into debt and let others bail me out.

    Well I'm 83 and thats where the similarity ends

    I put my heating on when I'm not warm enough, I don't struggle to pay the DD I'm £400 in credit, I have savings, I have no intention of getting into debt but 

    What's stopping  me from asking for a payment plan because I can't afford the debt I am about to go into and let someone else pay

    Worth noting that the original post at the start of this thread is quoting from a letter published in a newspaper, and those words you've quoted aren't from the original poster here but from that letter.
    It might have been clearer had the original poster added quotation tags or marks around the published letter he included, to differentiate his own content from it.
    I understood that but my question is what's stopping anyone (who wants to) getting into debt by not paying the bill and others having to pay. 

    There is no incentive to pay the bill when the only option for suppliers to get the debt repayed is via fitted a pre payment meter. That option has been taken away from the suppliers. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    MikeJXE said:
    I understood that but my question is what's stopping anyone (who wants to) getting into debt by not paying the bill and others having to pay. 
    If you're staying in your property, you'll get switched to prepayment now that the moratorium is over.
    If you generally need access to credit, eg. for a mortgage or a PCP car loan, being in default on a utility bill will have consequences.
    You'd be better off asking on the debt-free boards of you want to know the wider consequences of defaulted debt.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards