Porting failure - what to when provider unable to solve it?

Options
Hello

i switched network from o2 to Three and recently my old number ported. This worked to some extent - but I can only make outgoing calls ( which someone confirmed come from my ported number). Incoming calls get told the number is not available. I also cannot send or receive sms texts.

i reported this a day later and was told to wait 72 hours. Nothing changed. So I asked again  and was told it’s a sim problem and that the port worked. I then contacted them again about an unrelated matter, and eventually they told me incidentally that the port has failed and so to wait another 48 hours. They had no idea what I should do with the new sim if it arrives. This 48 hours has elapsed and still the problem persists,

What can I do at this point to get them to sort it out? Not having my phone number is a serious problem ( have repeatedly had problems all week with people being unable to contact me). Ofcom says it should take no more than 1 day, but I can’t find any information about how ofcom could do anything to enforce this, Any ideas how to get leverage on Three to make them sort it?

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• SaverRate
    Options
    Put a complaint into Three 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have you tried putting your old sim back in and asking someone to call you? Can you see whether your o2 account is still active? 
  • shefmarkh
    shefmarkh Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2023 at 3:11PM
    Options
    The old sim is not active. It gets no signal anymore. Also o2 have emailed me a final bill.
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If o2 have deactivated the sim everything has been done at their end. The issue is with connecting it to three. Three are the ones carrying out your instructions so contact them, ofcom says you are entitled to reasonable compensation for any delay;
    "

Compensation if your switch is delayed

If the switch takes more than one working day or there is an abuse of the process by your provider, you are entitled to reasonable compensation from your provider. Providers must inform customers how to access this compensation and how it will be paid.

Right to port

When signing up with a new provider you can also request to keep your old phone number for free by contacting your new provider even if you have already cancelled your previous service (as long as you request this within one month of cancelling)."

• shefmarkh
    Options
    SaverRate said:
    Put a complaint into Three 
    I did that on Friday morning making clear this is an urgent matter. But so far no-one contacted me.
  • shefmarkh
    edited 18 December 2023 at 10:24AM
    Options
    If o2 have deactivated the sim everything has been done at their end. The issue is with connecting it to three. Three are the ones carrying out your instructions so contact them, ofcom says you are entitled to reasonable compensation for any delay;
    "

Compensation if your switch is delayed

If the switch takes more than one working day or there is an abuse of the process by your provider, you are entitled to reasonable compensation from your provider. Providers must inform customers how to access this compensation and how it will be paid.

Right to port

When signing up with a new provider you can also request to keep your old phone number for free by contacting your new provider even if you have already cancelled your previous service (as long as you request this within one month of cancelling)."

Yes, I tried asking them about this twice, but so far they won't answer the question about compensation.

That's not to say they won't offer any - they have offered some credit against my bill (but this is little consolation given the hassle they have caused me). But they won't answer the question about what I am entitled to according to OFCOM rules (not sure OFCOM define this).
  • shefmarkh
    edited 18 December 2023 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Customer services have told me again this morning (after repeatedly denying there was any problem) that a backend team will look into it and I should wait 48 hours. But this is the third time they have told me this.

I told them this was not acceptable and I want it working by end of today. But they said there is nothing more they can do.
  • shefmarkh
    edited 19 December 2023 at 4:22PM
    Options
    Some progress....after emailing directly the head of UK customer services, I was put in contact with a team who can actually tell me what is going on. It seems O2 have not handed over the files they need to finish the port and they are struggling to get them to do it.
  • shefmarkh
    Options
    Was told again today they are unable to get o2 to release the files and there is nothing they can do except wait.

Have tried a complaint to o2, but no response so far.

its utterly infuriating they can just not hand over the files and nothing can be done.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback