Royal Mail tracking shows ebay parcel delivered, but reciptant says its not been.

Jerry_Cornelius
Jerry_Cornelius Posts: 101
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
So posted five ebay items on Tuesday 12th Dec, Royal Mail 2nd Class standard Small Parcel, and uploaded the ref codes (which provide limited tracking) to the ebay site. Received a message today from one of the recipitants who said the tracking ref on the ebay item page said delivered today, but she hadn't received it. I've confirmed the tracking number and address is correct, the one interesting thing is the tracking info on the RM site says the parcel was delivered by the "South West Parcel Hub Delivery" - and the reciptant is in Leicestershire! The SW Hub is in London from what I gather so that makes no sense. I've told her to hang on for a few days and see if it does arrrive - I'm assuming the tracking number was updated in error by RM (if thats possible) - just wondering what else i can do at this stage?
«1

Comments

  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,972
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Royal Mail delivery does not update at the actual time of delivery but at the end of the posties shift.  I would be surprised that something posted on the 12th was delivered 2 days later - I suspect a RM glitch.

    Sit back and wait.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • So posted five ebay items on Tuesday 12th Dec, Royal Mail 2nd Class standard Small Parcel, and uploaded the ref codes (which provide limited tracking) to the ebay site. Received a message today from one of the recipitants who said the tracking ref on the ebay item page said delivered today, but she hadn't received it. I've confirmed the tracking number and address is correct, the one interesting thing is the tracking info on the RM site says the parcel was delivered by the "South West Parcel Hub Delivery" - and the reciptant is in Leicestershire! The SW Hub is in London from what I gather so that makes no sense. I've told her to hang on for a few days and see if it does arrrive - I'm assuming the tracking number was updated in error by RM (if thats possible) - just wondering what else i can do at this stage?
    This is something that used to fool me too -

    Yes, the status is correct, it has been delivered, to its first leg of the journey.

    It's not been updated in error - and, the delivery updates eventually tie up with the reality, the timescale/delivery estimate doesn't take the different legs of the journey into account when advising of delivery timescale though - it's annoying.

    It's not uncommon for there to be more than two leg/parts to the journey, it will come right though, advise the buyer to sit tight and wait for the Royal Mail system to do its thing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,888
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    edited 18 January at 8:20PM
    Catsacor said:
    So posted five ebay items on Tuesday 12th Dec, Royal Mail 2nd Class standard Small Parcel, and uploaded the ref codes (which provide limited tracking) to the ebay site. Received a message today from one of the recipitants who said the tracking ref on the ebay item page said delivered today, but she hadn't received it. I've confirmed the tracking number and address is correct, the one interesting thing is the tracking info on the RM site says the parcel was delivered by the "South West Parcel Hub Delivery" - and the reciptant is in Leicestershire! The SW Hub is in London from what I gather so that makes no sense. I've told her to hang on for a few days and see if it does arrrive - I'm assuming the tracking number was updated in error by RM (if thats possible) - just wondering what else i can do at this stage?
    This is something that used to fool me too -

    Yes, the status is correct, it has been delivered, to its first leg of the journey.

    It's not been updated in error - and, the delivery updates eventually tie up with the reality, the timescale/delivery estimate doesn't take the different legs of the journey into account when advising of delivery timescale though - it's annoying.

    It's not uncommon for there to be more than two leg/parts to the journey, it will come right though, advise the buyer to sit tight and wait for the Royal Mail system to do its thing.
    I’m not entirely sure I agree, when the status shows as ‘delivered’ it should mean that, I have RM48 parcels progressing through the system, they show arrival and departure at a hub, but not delivered yet to buyer. When my item shows as delivered on the RM tracking I would expect to win any INR case based on that, delivering to an RM hub is merely one step in the journey and buyer would win an INR claim if item stopped there. 

    The only time it gets complicated is for GSP attacking on eBay itself as then it shows delivered to eBay hub (and I would still win an INR as a selelr) but then starts tracking again when eBay send it overseas. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,888
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Robin9 said:
    Royal Mail delivery does not update at the actual time of delivery but at the end of the posties shift.  I would be surprised that something posted on the 12th was delivered 2 days later - I suspect a RM glitch.

    Sit back and wait.
    I have had RM tracking show delivery once it is dropped off at my door. 

     On eBay it is usually the other way round , something is delivered according to the RM site but takes an extra day for eBay to upload as delivered. If I get an early INR or even a customer query about a lost parcel I look at eBay first, and if it doesn’t show as delivered on there I then check the RM site as that more often than not shows delivery. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jerry_Cornelius
    Jerry_Cornelius Posts: 101
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 January at 8:20PM
    soolin said:
    Catsacor said:
    So posted five ebay items on Tuesday 12th Dec, Royal Mail 2nd Class standard Small Parcel, and uploaded the ref codes (which provide limited tracking) to the ebay site. Received a message today from one of the recipitants who said the tracking ref on the ebay item page said delivered today, but she hadn't received it. I've confirmed the tracking number and address is correct, the one interesting thing is the tracking info on the RM site says the parcel was delivered by the "South West Parcel Hub Delivery" - and the reciptant is in Leicestershire! The SW Hub is in London from what I gather so that makes no sense. I've told her to hang on for a few days and see if it does arrrive - I'm assuming the tracking number was updated in error by RM (if thats possible) - just wondering what else i can do at this stage?
    This is something that used to fool me too -

    Yes, the status is correct, it has been delivered, to its first leg of the journey.

    It's not been updated in error - and, the delivery updates eventually tie up with the reality, the timescale/delivery estimate doesn't take the different legs of the journey into account when advising of delivery timescale though - it's annoying.

    It's not uncommon for there to be more than two leg/parts to the journey, it will come right though, advise the buyer to sit tight and wait for the Royal Mail system to do its thing.
    I’m not entirely sure I agree, when the status shows as ‘delivered’ it should mean that, I have RM48 parcels progressing through the system, they show arrival and departure at a hub, but not delivered yet to buyer. When my item shows as delivered on the RM tracking I would expect to win any INR case based on that, delivering to an RM hub is merely one step in the journey and buyer would win an INR claim if item stopped there.
    Yeah, I agree, I think its very odd to state its "Delivered" when its only at a hub. Infact the last entry on the RM site says "Delivered BY South West Parcel Hub Delivery" - so they arent saying its been delivered there, its been delivered by them.

    I also agree ebay usually updates the delivery status a while after the actual RM tracking does.

    As for time, 2 days for 2nd class delivery is a bit quick in these times, but I had one of the other parcels I sent at the same time deilvered on the same day, and another was delivered today. Depends on the areas I guess ...

  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 234
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can the tracking number be updated in error as you suggest?  Well I suppose obviously not every system is foolproof but i thought they scanned at the door so hard to record the wrong number 
  • moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,424
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RedImp_2 said:
    Can the tracking number be updated in error as you suggest?  Well I suppose obviously not every system is foolproof but i thought they scanned at the door so hard to record the wrong number 
    I very often confuse the1 (for i or l) and the 0 (for O) on RM tracking.
    I end up putting different variations in if it seems wrong!

    On the question of RM deliveries - my last 2 orders (from Department Stores) have arrived within 2 days.  Couldn't believe it!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My 2nd class parcels posted Tuesday were delivered Wednesday & Thursday at the opposite end of the UK to me.   
    Delivered from means just that, not a half way stage so being delivered from a DO nowhere the recipient is a bit strange.  Does the tracking show a GPS delivery location ?
    A Tracked 48 package I received on 6th Dec is still showing as received at the MC before my DO.
  • Jerry_Cornelius
    Jerry_Cornelius Posts: 101
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 December 2023 at 6:17PM
    So having had 3/5 of the parcels delivered, when looking at the other two via the tracking on the RM site, they both give a GPS Map Of Delivery Location and a map view. But the one that i'm having issues with doesn't give this info. However, the woman who was expecting the delivery has been speaking to her Postman (whom she knows quite well) and he's been back to her and told her the item was delivered in Bristol somewhere. I'm not even sure how that can happen - how could a postie in Bristol deliver something to a parcel with a completely diff city name and postcode on it?

    I guess now I should complain to RM about it.
  • WLM21
    WLM21 Posts: 1,481
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    In the past few months, I have had 2 buyers asking 'where is my parcel' and opening cases against me.

    On both occasions, I checked my Royal Mail receipt and looked up the reference number showing the items had, in fact been delivered.

    I uploaded the tracking details to eBay and heard nothing more. The cases were closed in my favour

    Obviously 'chancers' so I just block these buyers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards