500g sprouts, carrots & parsnips, 300g shallots & whole swede 19p each
2Kg potatoes 15p

Comments

• Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 819 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 December 2023 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Sainsbury's price matching all of them, aside from shallots which they only sell in 400g bags. They do have cabbage at 19p though, either white or red.

Edit : not sure when they're starting, they're showing for my delivery on Tuesday. 

• HumberFlyer
    Options
    Tesco doing near enough the same for 15p.....starting tuesday
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    I can't believe we're so close to Christmas now! Tempus fugit and all that.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    You'd think I'd be used to it but it's the same thing every year. The 'tins' of chocs appear from ...ooh... August, then suddenly it's Christmas next week. How does that work? 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,275 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    You'd think I'd be used to it but it's the same thing every year. The 'tins' of chocs appear from ...ooh... August, then suddenly it's Christmas next week. How does that work? 
    I can't decide which starts sooner - Christmas or Easter. I've already seen Easter chocolate in the shops!
  • YoungBlueEyes
    Options
    Aye there's a few easter eggs out here too, and bags of Mini Eggs. I'm not buying them, out of badness, it only encourages them!
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • olgadapolga
    Options
    Aye there's a few easter eggs out here too, and bags of Mini Eggs. I'm not buying them, out of badness, it only encourages them!

It certainly does. Although if I see any Creme Eggs I may be tempted. For the kids' stockings, of course  (not joking, I detest Creme Eggs but the kids like them).
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 819 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mnoee said:
    dealyboy said:
    Mnoee said:
    Sainsbury's price matching all of them, aside from shallots which they only sell in 400g bags. They do have cabbage at 19p though, either white or red.

Edit : not sure when they're starting, they're showing for my delivery on Tuesday. 

When I asked whether it was pensioner (like me) charities I was told 'no' it will be children's charities with a personal comment ... 'pensioners are well-off'.
    Well, that's statistically correct. Whether you're looking at mean or median, 60-70 is the wealthiest age group in the UK by quite a long way. They own approximately 6 times as much as the 25-35 year olds who are most likely to have young kids to look after, according to the ONS.

I know there's people of all ages who are struggling, but I can't really begrudge a supermarket raising money for kids at Christmas! 

What we could do without is the value judgement though. There are some very poor pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating, and don't have a support network. I have no doubt there will be plenty of cases of death secondary to hypothermia this year in the older population.

Vulnerable people are everywhere, we need to be looking out for everyone.
    I read it more as cheeky banter that maybe didn't hit the mark - without the tone/facial expressions etc, it could be read in different ways. Said with malice it's totally inappropriate, said with a grin it's... Well, maybe not 100% appropriate, but I have every sympathy for people working with the public, especially at this time of year. 
  • dealyboy
    dealyboy Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    @Mnoee said:
    Mnoee said:
    dealyboy said:
    Mnoee said:

When I asked whether it was pensioner (like me) charities I was told 'no' it will be children's charities with a personal comment ... 'pensioners are well-off'.
    Well, that's statistically correct. Whether you're looking at mean or median, 60-70 is the wealthiest age group in the UK by quite a long way. They own approximately 6 times as much as the 25-35 year olds who are most likely to have young kids to look after, according to the ONS.

I know there's people of all ages who are struggling, but I can't really begrudge a supermarket raising money for kids at Christmas! 

What we could do without is the value judgement though. There are some very poor pensioners who have to choose between heating and eating, and don't have a support network. I have no doubt there will be plenty of cases of death secondary to hypothermia this year in the older population.

Vulnerable people are everywhere, we need to be looking out for everyone.
    I read it more as cheeky banter  ;) that maybe didn't hit the mark - without the tone/facial expressions etc, it could be read in different ways. Said with malice it's totally inappropriate, said with a grin it's... Well, maybe not 100% appropriate, but I have every sympathy for people working with the public, especially at this time of year. 
    I think you're right ... I didn't take offence ... and I am a regular who does indulge.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up @molerat, OH will be sent to Lidl near his office to grab some shallots ! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback