Kitchen appliances changed after quote

Options
Morning all. 
We are in the arduous process of having a new kitchen fitted. The initial plans (which we signed and paid based on) quoted for all AEG appliances. However on checking they’ve fitted hotpoint for the fridge and freezer (incorrectly too,doors won’t fully open on ice box,top freezer shelves). They don’t seem to see my issue with changing the brand. I’m I justified in pushing back on this. 
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Auti
    Auti Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes I would! Especially as the fridge freezer won’t even fit properly - the plans were drawn for AEG so that is what you should have. Also the appliances offered instead of AEG may not have the guarantee, facilities, safety aspects that AEG give you and that you paid for. I would firmly say AEG.
  • casper_gutman
    Options
    On ao.com right now, I can order a Hotpoint integrated fridge freezer for £394. The cheapest AEG one is £675.

If I ordered the latter and they showed up with the former, it would most definitely be going back in the delivery truck.
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    Hotpoint is a cheaper brand, so unless you get AEG they owe you money back in my opinion because you paid for AEG. 
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Absolutely get them changed. Was the delivery not checked on arrival and before fitting?
  • FFHillbilly
    Options
    Lowena76 said:
     They don’t seem to see my issue with changing the brand. I’m I justified in pushing back on this. 

Has anything else changed in the job? i.e, did something pop up when the old kitchen was removed which meant they had to do some extra work to put it right first, and if you've not been made aware of an extra charge this might be there was of balancing it out.
    but if nothing like that has happened, assuming you are happy with the Hotpoint stuff I would find the difference between the price of the AEG items they quoted you for, and find the price of the Hotpoint items you were supplied and deduct it from the final payment.

• SaverRate
    Options
    Lowena76 said:
     They don’t seem to see my issue with changing the brand. I’m I justified in pushing back on this. 

Has anything else changed in the job? i.e, did something pop up when the old kitchen was removed which meant they had to do some extra work to put it right first, and if you've not been made aware of an extra charge this might be there was of balancing it out.
    but if nothing like that has happened, assuming you are happy with the Hotpoint stuff I would find the difference between the price of the AEG items they quoted you for, and find the price of the Hotpoint items you were supplied and deduct it from the final payment.

IMO, I would rather pay for the extra work than have it balanced out by getting cheaper appliances. 

Seems like they tried to make some extra money from you hoping you wouldn't notice! This is why I always supply my own appliances as most of the time you can get them cheaper. 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • Lowena76
    Options
    We are not living in the property yet. And between travelling for work can’t site visit every day. No unforeseen issues have arisen. Maybe they hoped we wouldn’t notice a different brand. It’s been now three weeks since they started the install…severities snags. Shelves fitted inside carousel units were meant to be,under mounted sink overhang not level. Etc. 
    thanks all for comments. I appreciate it!
  • SaverRate
    Options
    Lowena76 said:
    We are not living in the property yet. And between travelling for work can’t site visit every day. No unforeseen issues have arisen. Maybe they hoped we wouldn’t notice a different brand. It’s been now three weeks since they started the install…severities snags. Shelves fitted inside carousel units were meant to be,under mounted sink overhang not level. Etc. 
    Is it a national chain or local company?

Doesn't sound good, I hope you haven't paid in full yet and ensure any snags are completed before final payment is made. 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • Lowena76
    Options
    SaverRate said:
    Lowena76 said:
    Is it a national chain or local company?

Doesn't sound good, I hope you haven't paid in full yet and ensure any snags are completed before final payment is made. 
    It’s a local business. 
    We’ve not made the final payment yet. And a friend who is in the building trade has gone through it with me and drawn up a very thorough snagging list. So hopefully we’ll get somewhere 
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2023 at 4:36PM
    Options
    SaverRate said:
    Lowena76 said:

IMO, I would rather pay for the extra work than have it balanced out by getting cheaper appliances. 

Seems like they tried to make some extra money from you hoping you wouldn't notice! This is why I always supply my own appliances as most of the time you can get them cheaper. 
    Not always the case, some firms quote very competitive prices on the white goods knowing that you'll be checking up and use it to mask the huge mark up on stuff you can't compare. These firms would assume you'd think they were competitive across the board and thus give them your business.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure