Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Old conservatory added in 2007 with no planning or building regs, what to put on form TA6/5

Weave Posts: 174
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 12 December 2023 at 3:28PM in House buying, renting & selling

My friend is selling their house and are completing the form TA6. Section 4.2 asks if a conservatory has been added and if so then provide planning and building regs certificate or state why none are available. 

Can we just state 'Permitted development/beyond enforcement' or something along those lines? It was done by Anglian Home Improvements and their paperwork states 'We are seeking all necessary approvals in accordance with good building practice' but there are no building regs or planning documents within the paperwork we have.

Thanks for any advice offered.


  • Weave
    Weave Posts: 174
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perfect, thanks @lincroft1710.
  • As said above, just be honest and say no documents are available.

    If the vendor doesn't have the documents, it doesn't mean they don't exist. Check the local council planning website for the address to see what comes up. You can also phone the local building control, they are generally very helpful. Don't mention any specifics, just say you are looking to buy a house and you want to know if any building regs exist for any work in the last 20 years. Ours has a website you can search (you have to register for a free account). 

    If the paperwork doesn't exist as in the installer didn't obtain it, the buyer will have to decide if its worth proceeding which if they have a decent solicitor, they will be told a 14 year old conservatory having no paperwork is not a reason to pull out, unless its connected to the house rather than separated by a proper external door. 
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,167
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 December 2023 at 8:27AM
    In the case of the house we bought recently the conservatory addition around that time was also a breach of a restrictive covenant...
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards