Some guttering advice required

nero33
nero33 Posts: 172
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
Hi, during heavy rainfall water pours through the drainpipe/guttering, that exits onto our kitchen roof, gets collected by another level of  guttering and through a down pipe into the drain.

But the rainflow is faster than what the guttering and pipes can cope with so water is flowing over the side of the roof and all over the place.

And it's worse when windy.

How can I change my current set up to stop this issue.?  

Can I add piping to connect to the existing guttering so none of splashes over the roof etc?

I know nothing about the terminology involved so could be using the wrong words to describe everything!

Hopefully the photos explains it better.

Many thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,581
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2023 at 2:25PM
    Well, whithout knowing the whole picture of your 'current setup', I can suggest extending the downpipe over the roof of the extension, then down around the guttering, then connecting it to the lower downpipe. This is assuming that the lower downpipe isn't blocked and can cope with the total flow.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse. :(

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    grumbler said:
    Well, whithout knowing the whole picture of your 'current setup', I can suggest extending the downpipe over the roof of the extension, then down around the guttering, then connecting it to the lower downpipe. This is assuming that the lower downpipe isn't blocked and can cope with the total flow.
    Depending on the pitch & distance of the roof, the extended downpipe may need some brackets to stop it flapping around. Looks like a felt or epdm roof (unusual for a ptched roof).
    A spreader to extend the area over which the upper downpipe discharges on to the lower roof might help. But that does depend on the lower guttering & downpipe being able to cope with the extra flow.

Is it possible to fit a new downpipe at the boundary with next door ?
    The slope of the guttering would need to be changed, but that would mean that you are not discharging over the extension roof. You'd also need to dig down for more underground drainage, so a lot more work.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,658
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 12 December 2023 at 5:34PM
    And really the edpm should have had a dam end on the slope

Is the blue protective plastic still on the fascia.

If that fascia drip/edge is too long so the water fires over the gutter you could maybe space it out a bit. This can happen with edpm as the water accelerates well down it.
  • Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,482
    Forumite
    Do not know if it is my screen/ eyesight but does that stack appear to have movement six courses up from neighbours flashing.
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The top section is 3.5 bricks wide, and the bottom section 3.75 bricks, so the bricks step back.
  • Micron
    Micron Posts: 76
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You could try turning around the outlet at the bottom of the downpipe about 45 deg towards the right, this should slow down the speed of the water flow and spread the water over a greater length of the gutter it may not then overflow..
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You might find a deep flow gutter improves it enough.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 20,975
    Forumite
    Might be a daft question but does it really matter if your gutters overflow when there is a proper downpour?
    We have a similar set up to the OP and when it really comes down heavy the lower gutter often overflows, but as this only happens maybe 4 times a year, is it really an issue ?
  • chris_n
    chris_n Posts: 602
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Might be a daft question but does it really matter if your gutters overflow when there is a proper downpour?
    We have a similar set up to the OP and when it really comes down heavy the lower gutter often overflows, but as this only happens maybe 4 times a year, is it really an issue ?
    It can be if the gutter overflow soaks your walls!
    Living the dream in the Austrian Alps.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,203
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    chris_n said:
    It can be if the gutter overflow soaks your walls!
    Neighbour had the guttering overflow in real heavy rain on his garage. The wall got soaked with water running down both the outside & inside. This caused the roof timbers to swell and push the end of the wall out (big stepped crack appeared in the blockwork). Good chance the timbers started to rot as well.
    So yes, guttering overflowing can be a serious issue that results in some expensive repair bills.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback