🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Smile direct club help!

Options

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You might want to  remove the screen grab & edit it. It has your email address on.

TBH, does not mean much as it's state side.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Samrockz13
    Options
    uphoriak said:
    I'm in the same boat - currently in the middle of a payment plan with Tabeo until mid 2025 and mid-treatment, and now won't get my corrective alligners at the end and no check-ins or feedback from my assigned authodontist. I've saved copies of my agreements with Tabeo and everything I can think of and am waiting for Tabeo to contact me back as I filled out the contact form on Sunday. I'll email tomorrow if I haven't heard anything so at least I have documentation of what I've sent them (their online form doesn't email you a copy of what was sent).

My bank has told me to cancel my DD to Tabeo which I don't think I want to do because I'm hearing they're being passed onto credit agencies to chase, and I've just spoke to citizens advice this morning who have told me to contact the email address listed on the SmileDirect Club website and confirm whether my payments so far have covered costs and what the cost for redemption is? I'll try this next while also chasing Tabeo as per the "right of redress" clause in the T&C's I have with them.
    I have cancelled my direct debit - I will not be parting with any further money for a product/service I won't recieve. 

I have also sent an email to Tabeo stating my S75 rights and right of redress (I don't have the clause in my contract that indemnifies Tabeo as some have shown) stating that I will make no further payments and requesting a refund of all monies paid to date.

Checking my credit files with all major providers, the agreement does not appear on any of them so I'm reasonably confident of no impact to credit score but I guess we'll see.

One interesting thing I found, when I looked up who the credit was provided by "Healthcare Finance Ltd." on Companies House, it seems they used to trade as Tabeo Loan 1 Ltd. so this looks strange to me..
  • LFC_Fan_93
    Options
    Hi all,

I purchased Smile Direct Club retainers in November and received them the week of them going bust so will have none of the guarantees in place or on-going support. I paid in full on my credit card, do you know if this will be covered by a Section 75 claim with my credit card provider? I'm not really sure what the process involves.

Thanks!
  • born_again
    Options
    Hi all,

I purchased Smile Direct Club retainers in November and received them the week of them going bust so will have none of the guarantees in place or on-going support. I paid in full on my credit card, do you know if this will be covered by a Section 75 claim with my credit card provider? I'm not really sure what the process involves.

Thanks!

Speak to your card provider, as you have received part of what you paid for, so would be covered as partial chargeback.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Samrockz13
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Yes, you're definitely covered by Section 75 - you haven't recieved any of what you paid for, you got the aligners but have no access to any support or guidance how to use them basically rendering them useless. I would go to the card provider for a full refund - make sure you state you want to claim under Section 75 though as chargeback involves getting the money back from the vendor which we obviously can't do.
  • LFC_Fan_93
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Yes, you're definitely covered by Section 75 - you haven't recieved any of what you paid for, you got the aligners but have no access to any support or guidance how to use them basically rendering them useless. I would go to the card provider for a full refund - make sure you state you want to claim under Section 75 though as chargeback involves getting the money back from the vendor which we obviously can't do.
    Thank you!
  • born_again
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Money via chargeback does NOT come from the retailer. It comes from their merchant back. How they get it back is their issue.

Also bank will deal as they see fit. So in this case chargeback & not S75.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Carol_R_2
    Carol_R_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son took out a credit agreement with Smiledirect just before they went bust and has never received any retainer though did have an initial consultation. He’s paid a deposit and a first instalment has just been taken which is infuriating. I’ve told him to cancel his payment but he says it’s not on his bank account direct debit list so must be going through his card? He’s worried about his future credit status if he does cancel. Help!
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    Carol_R_2 said:
    My son took out a credit agreement with Smiledirect just before they went bust and has never received any retainer though did have an initial consultation. He’s paid a deposit and a first instalment has just been taken which is infuriating. I’ve told him to cancel his payment but he says it’s not on his bank account direct debit list so must be going through his card? He’s worried about his future credit status if he does cancel. Help!
    Its almost certainly under “subscriptions” or “Continuous payment authority” (CPA) section.  This is different to a direct debit, its based on the card rather than account (and note that cancelling the card will not sort it out).
    A call to the bank can confirm, and (despite what they may say) they should be able to cancel it there.

Note that cancelling it doesn’t change any legal situation - it seems unclear reading other threads here, on whether the credit agreements have to still be paid despite no (or incomplete) service from smiledirect?
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • erinndy
    erinndy Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Does anyone have an update. I have an agreement with Tabeo and it is being paid by direct debit from my bank. I sent the recommended email last year and was sent a google doc to fill in. In this time I have paid one DD installment but I am not keen on continuing to pay but as has been raised before I don't want it to hurt my credit! Just wondering if anyone has had responses yet?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure