Getting better VM deal or cancellation process

Options
My VM contract doesn't expire until May 2024 but a discount is about to come off which will make my monthly payments leap from £59pm to £84pm. I have tried and tried via calls/chats to get a better deal but without success. The web chat people just don't seem to understand what I ask them. I have 125 broadband, Mix TV, and Sky Cinema bolted on.

Sky is currently offering a better package than I currently have for £47pm and that includes Netflix - which would save me another £7 for my existing Netflix subscription, making it £40pm. Even a package with double my current broadband speed comes in below what I currently (£59pm) pay. Never mind the £84pm about to hit me.

VM won't move on price and if I take Sky Cinema off now (to make the price rise less painful) it would mean signing up for another 18-month contract. I don't want that as their deals aren't competitive.

I asked the webchat agent about the cancellation process but it seemed to be too much for their level of English to explain properly. I was told that my cost to cancel now would be £245. Fair enough. However, taking Sky now would save me £84 minus £40 per month. This would pay off the £245 fee in just a few months.

I have 2 simple questions that they couldn't get their head around so I thought someone here might be able to advise. I've not cancelled before as I've been with VM before it was VM in my area and have stayed loyal for around 25 years.

1. If I book cancellation today, when would I lose service? What would happen i.e. I presume an engineer visit at some point?
2. If I book cancellation and have a problem with arranging Sky installation/pricing, could I cancel the cancellation and stay with VM until May without penalty? I work from home so it's vital I have no break in service.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 December 2023 at 2:29PM
    Options
    1. Unlikely an engineer will attend.  They will probably ask you to send back the router, in theory they send you a package to return it.  If you do, make sure you have evidence of sending, in the past they have tried to charge people for not returning the kit.  VM normally ask for thirty days notice to cancel.  So if it were me I'd get them to agree a date when the service ceases.  VM will make it as hard as possible to cancel.  They will try and deny you have given them cease instructions, send the instructions in writing with recorded delivery.

2. In theory you could revert to VM.  However, their customer service is so poor I doubt they would get it right.

You will of course have far more bargaining power when your contract expires in May.  If you can bear to continue with VM until then.  VM have a forum, you could post a message on that, often a VM employee will respond and try and help you out.

Good luck.

Kind Regards,

Bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family