Just switch over to BT digital, and....

Options
Thumbs_Up
Thumbs_Up Posts: 965 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
edited 11 December 2023 at 5:02PM in Phones & TV
I kid you not, had a power cut early in the morning. No power so no landline telephone, think about that.
OK, i have a mobile phone in the house, so if a emergency situation happens we have a get out of jail card...Have you?

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    Thumbs_Up said:
    I kid you not, had a power cut early in the morning. No power so no landline telephone, think about that.  
    Wouldn't bother me a bit, never make an outgoing call and most incoming calls are scams/spam.

Thumbs_Up said:
    OK, i have a mobile phone in the house, so if a emergency situation happens we have a get out of jail card...Have you?
    Yep
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prior to being on digital voice if you  had a ‘regular’ line fault that stopped you from making a 999 call would you be equally as exercised to post  ‘oh my god what if’ , so in answer to your question, yes I  have thought about that and concluded that you have panicked unnecessarily 
  • Thumbs_Up
    Options
    Let me add some context to my post if I may. My older sibling is a bit of a social justice commentator, speaking up for the vulnerable  and non tech savvy in our society, he's always bemoaning about high street banks shutting down, banks trying to do away with cheque books, and of course the telephone technology changeover. I'm sure there are others issues he has touch on.

Anyway, generally I tell him to move on with the times and dismissed his comments....until that power cut, it made me think maybe he has a point!

• JSmithy45AD
    Options
    Thumbs_Up said:
    Let me add some context to my post if I may. My older sibling is a bit of a social justice commentator, speaking up for the vulnerable  and non tech savvy in our society, he's always bemoaning about high street banks shutting down, banks trying to do away with cheque books, and of course the telephone technology changeover. I'm sure there are others issues he has touch on.

Anyway, generally I tell him to move on with the times and dismissed his comments....until that power cut, it made me think maybe he has a point!

Is your older sibling "Disgusted of Dagenham" that I keep seeing in the comments sections of websites?
  • Thumbs_Up
    edited 8 December 2023 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Thumbs_Up said:

Is your older sibling "Disgusted of Dagenham" that I keep seeing in the comments sections of websites?
    LOL. No! Hand on my heart i haven't a clue what you are talking about, me personally this is the only website i make comments on. 
    But, by a very strange coincidence i am a member of a Facebook group that regales about Dagenham, and the good ol' days. LOL.

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    Thumbs_Up said:

What point do you think he has?
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,806 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You just put a UPS backup power supply on the router, some providers include them others you have to get them yourself.

Its a problem with a simple solution, however the problem is not significant for 95% of the population so the solution went from being standard to an add on.
  • Thumbs_Up
    Options
    Thumbs_Up said:

What point do you think he has?
    The point is there are vulnerable people in our society that often get overlooked. But the ever rampant march to the tune of progress, someone somewhere will always be forgotten. But don't you worry yourself about it apparently 95% of the population is A-OK.

• Thumbs_Up
    Options
    ....I forgot to mention, yes my brother is a social justice warrior, but I'll give him credit he is technology wise very clever. So, after the switch over we lost the voicemail facility. Was told by a B.T rep "it's is what it is" A few days later got asked to fill out a survey "how did we do".

It seems after some research it is possible to reactivate the voicemail feature, which has now been done. If anyone is interested how it was done I'll ask him next week when he pays me a visit. Of course i could call him, but this being a money saving website, I'll wait till next week. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure