Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When to negotiate money following survey

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 December 2023 at 9:33AM in House buying, renting & selling
deleted post


  • What’s the work that needs doing urgently?
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,270
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 December 2023 at 3:07PM
    Talk to the Estate Agent. Let them know your thoughts. Ultimate will come to negotiation with the vendor and whether a compromise can be reached. 
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,647
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 February at 1:59PM
    habssac said:
    I don't want to give too much detail incase its outing, but there are essentially holes in the roof and something significant missing from the waste pipes.

    My question isn't really about whether I should negotiate though, more when the best time is to do it if I think my buyer may also want to negotiate with me.
    I think what others are saying is what is the actual wording within the survey about the roof? Many surveys will say due to the age there may be holes in the roof etc etc. Also the vendor may want to rectify any issues themselves or seek other quotes, usually surveyor quotes are pie in the sky numbers.

    In terms of timing i would say as soon as possible so it doesn't delay things too much.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 306
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 7 December 2023 at 4:38PM
    You need to be negotiating  now. It sounds like you want to wait to hear your buyer has to say so you know where you stand on the house you are buying.

    If you want your seller to take you seriously  you should be asking when you know of the issues not a few weeks down the line.

    Your buyer and seller negotiations are seperate and while you may see them as linked the others  frankly don't care what your issues in other parts of the chain are
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 21,207
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
     Think there is a good chance our buyer will do the same to us, which may impact whether we need to negotiate even more up the chain

    Why will your buyer do the same? Are you aware of some issues with your own house and they have had a survey done ?

  • If you are going to negotiate the earlier the better.

    Whether your buyer may or may not also negotiate is entirely separate and irrelent in terms of your purchase.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,852
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    I would ask now, as your chain could calapse 
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards