Laminate flooring.

Options
I do realise this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I'm trying to get a sense of the cost per square metre of good quality laminate flooring for the living room/dining room including underlay and fitting.  It will be onto timber flooring.  I'm just considering options as the existing carpet will need replacing in the not too distant future and I'm investigating the options.

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, but you are right it is how long is a piece of string.

You can spend under £10 per meter, and you can spend up to £40 per square meter.

If possible go for 12mm thickness. ( some start at 8 or 10 but 12 is much better ) It will wear better. You also have to factor in good insulating underlay ( this will depend what type of floor you are laying it on top of.
    You may also need extra trims.

In our old house, I had a light bulb moment and realised how unhygienic carpet is. We ripped it all up and got laminate everywhere. It was the best decision I have ever made. Cleaner, easier to look after and looked fab.

In this house we are very lucky, we have tiles and wooden floors everywhere not a carpet in sight. With kids, cat dog garden it is much better and easier to look after.

Laminate is not a cheap option but it is hard wearing if laid with a good underlay just as warm.

Just shop around find a colour and design you are happy with and haggle!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    edited 7 December 2023 at 7:14PM
    Options
    Thanks @BJV.  I'm not looking for a cheap alternative as whatever we end up using will be there until we pop our clogs.  I'm wrong side of 70 now and my missus is heading that way.  I did mention that it will be going onto a timber floor so appreciate the need for good insulation.  It's a 1930s house, so solidly built.  Part of the thought process is that we have a lot of furniture, some of which can easily be moved into the conservatory for the work to be done, but certainly not enough room for all of it.  Getting carpet laid could be a nightmare as the area to be done is the living room and dining room which have been knocked through into one.  As you may imagine there are bits of wall still there and the combined room size is about 30' x 15'.  As laminate is laid piece by piece I'm hoping that shifting as much as possible out of one half to give a clear working area, and then swapping areas would be practical for laying laminate.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, pretty easy to move furniture away from the starting area, then move it back in once one part is completed.

For the best result one would remove skirtings first, and undercut door frames and facings.

If you are paying someone to fit it then I would expect it to work out more expensive than carpet aS fitting will take longer.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    BJV said: In our old house, I had a light bulb moment and realised how unhygienic carpet is. We ripped it all up and got laminate everywhere.
    laminate is also noisier than carpet. I have a small bedroom with laminate down - Can hear every footstep and scrape of chair. Other rooms, the sounds are very much reduced.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 December 2023 at 10:30AM
    Options
    TELLIT, as always, try and find some reputable flooring experts in your area. Get them out to discuss and quote, and discuss with each how they would approach the job.
    Eg, would they remove the skirting boards first to give a seamless finish? Or do they suggest adding edge trims? 
    Qualities of each flooring, wear layer, upkeep, etc. 
    Will it be solid wood, engineered wood, or 'laminate' - a print? Pros and cons for each.
    Important: how will they draught proof the floor, especially around the perimeter? I'd strongly suggest you seal the existing floor boards where they meet the wall - I speak as a fellow '30s home owner who hasn't.
    How will the new raised floor height affect transitions into other rooms - underlay and 12mm is quite a step.

On an associated point, I wouldn't suggest to any fitter that they play musical furniture - I don't think it'll go down well. If you wait until Summer, or at least a dry spell, you can have your exiting carpet removed, laid out in a few layers in your garden, and the most awkward pieces sat on top. A decorating sheet over it will keep it fine for the two or three days the job will take.

First think - visit as many flooring shops as you can, and build up a picture of what you find most appealing. For 'laminate', see if it has a realistic - matching - wood grain texture in the finish. Ie, is the printed wood grain pattern replicated in the physical surface grain.

Wear layer - what warranty. Upkeep - what's required. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and information.  The depth of good laminate and underlay is a valuable point.  Another potential problem to overcome is that a decorative timber archway was created where the two rooms were opened up and that has a lot of detail around the bottom.  I'm not even sure that could be removed and refitted, also the skirting is very deep and I'd be concerned about damage if that was removed. 
    The more information I'm getting, the less sure I am that going the laminat floor route is the best way.
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,032 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Thanks for all the advice and information.  The depth of good laminate and underlay is a valuable point.  Another potential problem to overcome is that a decorative timber archway was created where the two rooms were opened up and that has a lot of detail around the bottom.  I'm not even sure that could be removed and refitted, also the skirting is very deep and I'd be concerned about damage if that was removed. 
    The more information I'm getting, the less sure I am that going the laminat floor route is the best way.

There are standard solutions to all these issues. Even if you 'had' to go 'beading', as many folk do, it just doesn't become a visual issue  - unless you are fixated on it! How many folk walk into a room staring at the floor and skirting boards? You walk in, and the overall effect hits you.
    Anyhoo, do get some reputable folk out, and just talk it through. Mil just had the whole of her flooring done - all of it. Had she gone laminate, all the fitters said "We'll just pop off the skirtings, and replace them" as if it was no issue. She ended up going for glue-down Amtico (suspended concrete floor with UFH), and it's impressive.
    (Surprised to find it didn't have the 'matching' grain pattern, tho', at their silly price - it was just an overall 'wood' texture! But, in reality, you don't even notice this.)
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,487 Forumite
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    Thanks @BJV.  I'm not looking for a cheap alternative as whatever we end up using will be there until we pop our clogs.  I'm wrong side of 70 now and my missus is heading that way.  I did mention that it will be going onto a timber floor so appreciate the need for good insulation.  It's a 1930s house, so solidly built.  Part of the thought process is that we have a lot of furniture, some of which can easily be moved into the conservatory for the work to be done, but certainly not enough room for all of it.  Getting carpet laid could be a nightmare as the area to be done is the living room and dining room which have been knocked through into one.  As you may imagine there are bits of wall still there and the combined room size is about 30' x 15'.  As laminate is laid piece by piece I'm hoping that shifting as much as possible out of one half to give a clear working area, and then swapping areas would be practical for laying laminate.
    A good and cooperative carpet fitter will normally have no issues moving furniture about, and they can do one half of the room first and then the other. Plus fitting carpet is quite a lot quicker than laminate as far as I know.
    Personally I am a carpet fan as it feels cosier/warmer, especially in Winter, so would never have laminate in a living room, but a lot of people love it of course
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think there are two types of people: carpet and hard floor, and both are equally right.

It is a personal choice.

There are pros and cons for both. In fairness, our old house was 1920's, and our current house is even older and we have never had an issue with noise. I don't think you would either, as it sounds like you are planning to refloor the downstairs. Hard flooring is better for our lifestyle. Maintenance, cleaning, hygiene, but you have to be happy as new carpet or laminate will not be cheap, so you have to be happy with whatever you choose.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,655 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 December 2023 at 3:41PM
    Options
    We have this:

https://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/laminate-flooring-series-woods-12mm-harvest-oak

they call it series but it's Swiss Krono if looking to compare prices and UK Flooring Direct does price match up to 28 days after delivery. With this underneath: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180802669253

so roughly £22 a square metre. 

MDF Beading for laminate flooring is cheaply available (24 meters for around £30 on eBay) to save taking all the skirting off, I'm not sure what happens with the beading when it meets architrave (ours is under the skirting and architrave).

Fitting isn't difficult for someone who knows what they are doing, usual advice on these things is to find a local place that comes recommended. 

The fitters might be willing to move furniture for a few extra quid. 

It's easy to clean, although you might notice just how much dust and fluff builds up that would usually get lost in carpet. Not as warm as carpet but you can always throw a rug over it in rooms such as the living room. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback