Metro Bank - Do I get a debit card

I opened an account and cant find this information anywhere. Do I have to go in store to get a debit card or will one be sent in the post. I don't need one for spending really, but it looks like I need one to set up payees on my account.

Comments

• Assuming that you've opened a current account (not in branch) then you will be sent a debit card in the post.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,621
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    What sort of account did you open?
  • If you opened a current account online you should have a received a choice between choosing to have the debit card posted to you directly, or posted to a branch of your choosing for collection at your convenience. If you didn't receive this choice, it could be because your address is too far from the closest branch.
  • ajo
    ajo Posts: 132
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't remember seeing this choice. It's the instant access savings account. I did it through the app. There is a branch 5 mile away.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,117
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    From the FAQs for the IA Saver account: "If you only hold an Instant Access Savings Account with us and would like to create a new payee or nominate a payee – please call us on 'number'" (you can get that number from the FAQ).

So although I have no Metro accounts, to me that looks like you won't get a debit card.
  • ajo said:
    I don't remember seeing this choice. It's the instant access savings account. I did it through the app. There is a branch 5 mile away.
    Savings accounts don't come with a debit card.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,621
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ajo said:
    It's the instant access savings account.
    Very few savings accounts come with a card. The idea is that you save there and spend from a current account
    Easy enough to transfer into your 'beneficiary' once you have set up the payee. I can't see why you should need a card to set one of these up
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,087
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 7 December 2023 at 2:07PM
    ajo said:
    I opened an account and cant find this information anywhere. Do I have to go in store to get a debit card or will one be sent in the post. I don't need one for spending really, but it looks like I need one to set up payees on my account.
    Open a Metro Bank current account and you'll be able to manage it more easily. You can open them online.
  • AmityNeon
    AmityNeon Posts: 886
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    ColdIron said:
    ajo said:

It's the instant access savings account.

Easy enough to transfer into your 'beneficiary' once you have set up the payee. I can't see why you should need a card to set one of these up

Perhaps a quirk of Metro Bank's systems, and probably why their FAQ specifically states for customers holding only a savings account to call them.

If my card is frozen and and I try to 'Create new payee', the app throws the error: "Cannot Add New Payee You need an active card to create a new payee within the app. Please call us to set up your new payee." In online banking, you can input the payee details and verify with your password and SMS code, but if the card is frozen, a more generic error appears and advises calling to set up the payee.

• boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,125
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Despite being a modern bank with an app, Metro are very phone and branch centric.
    The robo-chat is worse than most other robo-chats (quite an achievement!) and just regurgitates stuff from the FAQ then refers you to the phone line or a branch. Unlike many other help chats, there is no way to escalate the chat to a human.

You can open a savings account in the app but if you want to close it you have to phone them or visit a branch.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback