OVO charges for meter reading?

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    So to establish whether this is reasonable or not, when did you last provide a reading, and when before that did you previously provide one? The supplier does have a duty of care to obtain regular readings, and there is I believe a set-point at which they MUST obtain a reading by one route or another.

If you are unhappy with reading your current meters, then by far the best way of dealing with the issue would be to ask for smart meters to be fitted as this would solve the problem. You would still have to take readings occasionally but purely for your own records to check your bills are correct. It is to be hoped that you are doing this already, so no change. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    It seems they offer rewards for submitting, must be cheaper for them than sending readers out as often, Have they not offered a smart meter? 
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It is clear from the first post that OVO think he is deliberately putting in low readings to save money and that is what he is fed up with. It is also clear that despite sending meter readers and being proven wrong OVO has the cheek to want to charge for another meter reading despite regular meter readings already being given. Did those responders who are confused not read the first post?
    The correct answer is given in the second post, move suppliers. That should get a final bill within six weeks and a refund.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • TheElectricCow
    TheElectricCow Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 6 December 2023 at 1:15PM
    Xbigman said:
    It is clear from the first post that OVO think he is deliberately putting in low readings to save money and that is what he is fed up with. It is also clear that despite sending meter readers and being proven wrong OVO has the cheek to want to charge for another meter reading despite regular meter readings already being given. Did those responders who are confused not read the first post?
    The correct answer is given in the second post, move suppliers. That should get a final bill within six weeks and a refund.

Darren
    The issue isn’t one of reading accuracy, it’s that the OP is refusing to provide any readings at all unless a meter reader is sent to their home to take one. 

The OP suggests the only actual readings OVO have got are at least 6-12 months apart and say they got angry when asked if they would provide a reading over the phone.
    Moo…
  • xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Xbigman said:

Darren
    The issue isn’t one of reading accuracy, it’s that the OP is refusing to provide any readings at all unless a meter reader is sent to their home to take one. 

The OP suggests the only actual readings OVO have got are at least 6-12 months apart and say they got angry when asked if they would provide a reading over the phone.
    Correction,  got angry when they cold called me with threatening language over meter readings which by estimation and actual reading and provided readings have been shown to be up to date and accurate to date.  and had no customer service skills to alter their approach when it was obvious I was getting increasingly annoyed with their call and questions.

To other replies,  the issue here is a legal one, (which not many of you seem to grasp), I have never been aware of any change in the UK energy market which removes the responsibility from the supplier to obtain accurate reading should THEY wish to, at their OWN expense.
  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 2,284 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm surprised to see people defending OVO, but in any case it sounds like the best option in to ditch them as you say. I've been with a number of suppliers but never had those sorts of threats, instead if I've been slow with meter readings the bill on an estimate (that normally provokes me into giving a real reading)

And no longer an issue at all since I finally got a smart meter.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Don't ever fly with Ryanair!

Just switch, Or get a smart meter fitted, The legal meter inspection can be years apart, Nowadays you are expected to submit readings online yourself for a cheaper price, Where you with SSE before?.
  • xxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx Posts: 425 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2023 at 2:35PM
    Yes, I was with SSE before.  I never saw any letter telling me I would be paid to give readings or the T&Cs on that offer. 
  • Bradden
    Bradden Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    xxxxxxxx said:

To other replies,  the issue here is a legal one, (which not many of you seem to grasp), I have never been aware of any change in the UK energy market which removes the responsibility from the supplier to obtain accurate reading should THEY wish to, at their OWN expense.

Sorry.. can you point me to the legislation where it stipulates this please.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback