Options
2»

Comments

• peter12345678910
    peter12345678910 Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 April at 2:45AM
    Options
    Though I think the Avensis and Yaris both have a high biting point. No problems really for 5 or 6 years for both cars. Though old cars, but most cars are. Remember to do a clutch test. Stay away from the Vauxhall Astra 1.4t they are very cheap for a reason even though they use chains and not cam belts. I have heard better things with the 1.6t 68 plate but they are expensive. Turbo is essentially overclocking like a string burning from both ends. So if u go that route u have to be double careful with oil maybe use long life oil and the water coolant which may be used to cool the turbo. Though not just Vauxhall suffered from turbo powered small engines also Ford with the eco boost.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,668 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try to find a suitable car from a local garage or one in easy reach. You only have to see the forum posts here from people who bought miles away and then need to return the car to see the issues that can cause.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • WellKnownSid
    WellKnownSid Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames said:
    Try to find a suitable car from a local garage or one in easy reach. You only have to see the forum posts here from people who bought miles away and then need to return the car to see the issues that can cause.
    Just thinking of the second hand cars I've purchased, unseen, from dealers that are not local to me:

Nine vehicles between 1995 and 2023.

Number of issues experienced with the vehicles on collection: none
    Number of issues subsequently experienced with the vehicles: none

Forum bias plays a role here.  We only see the people who have had problems / lost money / been scammed / bought a pup.  Few come on here to say "I've just bought a car, unseen from a dealer 200 miles away.  It was great."
  • ontheroad1970
    ontheroad1970 Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Iceweasel said:
    Four month old thread.
    More of a springbot than a springboot
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income