Buying a 2nd hand car

Options
Hey guys, 

So I'm in the market for a 2nd hand car and I'm getting a little bit overwhelmed with it all. This is the 2nd time buying a car, my 1st one I bought was a Focus for like 1.6k probably like 12 years ago. I didn't know much about cars back then (Still don't now), But when I bought it a few weeks later I had to replace the clutch on it which back then was a lot of money to me.

Now I'm looking to buy a car around the 10-12k mark. Given the price I don't want to make any stupid mistakes. I have a few cars shortlisted but this seems to be the one on top at the moment https://www.saxton4x4.co.uk/vehicle/seat-arona-10205 

I'm not sure what I'm really asking here but are there any guide lines I should follow. I know as soon as I enquire about this vehicle they'll be as accommodating as they can be until I hand over the money, Then after that they won't be so accommodating. 

Regards.

Comments

• Dogbyte009
    Options
    If you don't know a lot about cars it's worth getting an independent inspection. AA and RAC both do them, it'll cost you £100 or so but it'll give you peace of mind.
  • SaverRate
    SaverRate Posts: 937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Personally once I have found I car I want to buy I do the following:

- Compare to other cars to make sure it is a good price for what your buying
    - Do a V Check/HPI Check
    - Check the MOT history on the DVLA website
    - Check the service history (ask the dealership). 
    - Check if its had cambelt replacement or when its due one (depending on age) 2018 SEAT should be due this year so should have been done already. If not ask them if they can get it done. 
    - Test Drive it and check for any damage etc
    - Tell the dealership of any work you want doing
    - Check what warranty comes with the vehicle
    - See if they will knock any money off the vehicle or add incentives e.g. they pay the vehicle tax for the first year etc. 

I do also like to buy cars from dealers offering atleast 12 months warranty (included in the cars price) but may not be possible depending on age of car. 

If your looking at SEAT if you can buy from a SEAT dealership you should get 24 months MOT cover, warranty and breakdown cover. 
    FTB - April 2020 
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Find a car user forum, read posts on car you are interested in & ask questions.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once you've picked a make and model you like, search the internet to see if there are any specific models in the range that are known to be problematic.  Often it will be one specific engine that always fails.  Or a bad gearbox.  All the others may be fine.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Once you've picked a make and model you like, search the internet to see if there are any specific models in the range that are known to be problematic.  Often it will be one specific engine that always fails.  Or a bad gearbox.  All the others may be fine.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2023 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Goudy said:

Does it clonk or knock over bumps, so steer for bumps rather than avoid them.

I am going to try and qualify that statement based on the car linked too.

That Arona is fitted with 18 inch wheels and very low profile tyres.
    Seat are also known to fit quite firm suspension as well.

It's going to ride pretty rough, it'll likely crash about over bumps and I would guess make a racket due to tyre roar as you drive on even the smoothest roads. 

This doesn't mean there's a mechanical fault with the car, but if you want a smooth, plush quiet ride then perhaps look elsewhere, something with smaller wheels for a start.

• qwerty2849949
    qwerty2849949 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 December 2023 at 2:57PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone some good advice here. 

"It's going to ride pretty rough, it'll likely crash about over bumps and I would guess make a racket due to tyre roar as you drive on even the smoothest roads. " 

Can't be worse than my 2001 Focus I have now. Every time I go over a bump feels like the car is going to fall apart :smiley:
  • Bigwheels1111
    Options
    I looked at a Vectra estate in Blue in 2010 I think it was.
    I checked the mot,log book,service stamps, looked under the car for dents from jacks, rust etc.
    Tried every switch, light etc and all was mint.
    Did a hpi check as well, all good.
    Could not get to the price I wanted so said Im off for breakfast, will come back in an hour.
    My friend and I came back for a second look and tried to get the price down again.
    Something in my head was ringing and I could not figure out what it was.
    On about the 10th look round the car I noticed the issue, The car was Blue with Grey door seal trims made of plastic, Drivers side Grey, Passenger said Blue like the car.
    Agh damaged and repaired.
    Then I noticed the passenger front light was clearer, ie new.
    Lesson learnded.
    Check,check,check and check again.

• Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Four month old thread.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income