Door handle for this 1930s style door

Options
I need to replace my doors (4) for wider ones and want to buy the type below. I need to buy new handles can you please recommend one which feels good to turn (not the round doorknob type) is either brass or satin and suits the door.

Thanks

https://www.howdens.com/joinery/doors/howdens-1930s-white-primed-3-panel-door-obj-sku-family-25470462

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,898 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 5 December 2023 at 3:11PM
    Options
    What style do you want? A modern handle in a traditional material as per the photo or a more traditional shape?

Do you want bare metal which will develop patina and polish over time with use or lacquered which will always stay the same?
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would shop around for the doors.

We have always found that Howdens is never the best in quality or price. 

Ref door handles, I would get from from somewhere you can feel and touch them. Pictures don't always show the weight, the feel etc, and this is something you are going to use every day, so it has to be right. As per the last post the style with depend on what you are going for and what will fit into the scheme?
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    A 1930s door would typically have a rim latch and round knobs (either brass or bakelite).
    httpsencrypted-tbn3gstaticcomshoppingqtbnANd9GcQO6pBfjcZO096nRx0GlvHq6QqTZgpyNWL3Z1jdguFOybPEOkK9rv-UAoYfFAdyu-aw-fcbE2adZuyYnvC-rAlZAWSuEXD_OM_bk8a9rKKcghwgQETvgGsYusqpCAc

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    A 1930s door would typically have a rim latch and round knobs (either brass or bakelite).
    httpsencrypted-tbn3gstaticcomshoppingqtbnANd9GcQO6pBfjcZO096nRx0GlvHq6QqTZgpyNWL3Z1jdguFOybPEOkK9rv-UAoYfFAdyu-aw-fcbE2adZuyYnvC-rAlZAWSuEXD_OM_bk8a9rKKcghwgQETvgGsYusqpCAc

Have to say love the handles!
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yes the knobs are authentic.
    So you need to rummage around the net to see what suits you.

Have you looked at reclamation yards?
    The ones I've been to have stacks of doors with a lot as you show. While many are in the original buildings round here there was a phase a couple of decades ago for people to remove them and they are still stacked in these places as they really only fit a 1930s house.

Often stripping is available too. Worth paying for, done it by hand and exhausting.

They are places you can feel the weight and see the condition. 

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I spent ages trying to find the “right” handles for my 1930s doors and ended up getting faux Bakelite ones. I knew they had been some there originally as I had a couple still in place on the garage and storeroom doors - I had to strip years of paint off to discover them. They were expensive and I have plainer versions on the inside of the doors, but they look the part. 
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 938 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    They're beauties!
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just to point out that, unlike the Howdens image above, the door handles for this style door are usually higher up - at the level of the horizontal bar of wood.
  • greyteam1959
    Options
    FreeBear said:

Just like those in my house those.
    And all original as well.
  • DRP
    DRP Posts: 4,280 Forumite
    Options
    Holy moly, please DO NOT put your handles in the middle of the door like in that howdens picture! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback