4 vacations abroad in a year. Is it excessive?

2»

Comments

• I take my "personal assistant" on every holiday - I don't fancy divorce proceedings for desertion !!!
    :)
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    Booked Turkey in April with my personal assistant, Booked a Shearings coach trip to Italy for May with a friend, also going to Morocco with same personal assistant in November. Going to Spend Christmas and new years in Sri Lanka in December. Is going on 4 holidays excessive.
    Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.
    Some people who take more than 4 holidays a year will think it's not enough.

It's a 'how long is a piece of string?' question.
    If you can afford a week in Skegness you can probably afford more than a week in a lot of foreign destinations. The UK is expensive, you can get flights to countries where everything is far cheaper than the UK for £10-20.

Not really.

You can holiday in a caravan in Skegness pretty cheaply (especially if your family have one you can use for free).
    You can take a lot of your own food to avoid eating out.
    Plan for sunny days and rainy days.

To your £10-20 flights you need to add in costs to get to the airport (probably more expensive than an 80 mile journey to your nearest UK coastal resort).
    And transfers to your destination when you book cheap flight only.
    Oh...and cost of passports if you don't have them.

My friend couldn't have afforded passports and foreign holidays when her kids were small.
    She could however afford a week in a caravan in Skegness if she bought a few extra bits of food each week and planned to eat in most days.
    Put sandwiches up for lunchtimes.
    The kids were happy to be having a holiday whether it was sunny or raining.
    She could put a meal together for much less than a meal for her and the kids would cost in cheaper foreign destinations that cost £10-20 for the flights.

So some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.

I really don't see the point of the question.
    How long is a piece of string?
    It's a different equation depending whether you're travelling as a family or solo. And obviously if you get stuff like accomodation free that's a factor (then someone else is paying for it - have you seen the prices of owning a caravan on UK campsites??). Some people own property abroad.
    I've done several trips to Eastern Europe in the last few years.
    Typical:
    Cost to airport about £4.50 (tram in Manchester)
    Cost of bus at foreign airport to accomodation - usually under £1 (public transport is incredibly cheap in Eastern Europe)
    Accomodation - can get decent hotels for around £20 a night, or hostel dorm accomodation with cooking facilities etc under £10 a night.
    Eating out, typically half the price of the UK.
    Tourist attractions - often free or much cheaper than the UK.
    Local public transport, usually pennies. Long distance public transport eg across the country, usually just a few £
    I usually spend more than the above, but it's doable for the above sort of amounts. But the point is, on a UK holiday solo or even couples trip, I always spend more than an Eastern Europe holiday. Family - maybe not.

• When I spend 26 days in Sri Lanka over some of the winter it comes to around £5500 including all costs which I don't think is bad. A nice hotel in Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka is only £900 for the 26 days with breakfast, You can have a very nice meal and 2/3 beers for £13. I think the biggest expense to my £5500 is the travel insurance which is £1000 as I have pre-existing conditions and obviously the flights which are another £800. I take £1600 spending money which is £60 a day and thats more than enough.
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    I've worked hard on my home and enjoy being there.
    I also enjoy the company of my friends.
    No need to go away a lot but some do. An acquaintance is cruising more time than at home. Loves it.
    Seems a bit odd to me but I do live somewhere beautiful.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 3 December 2023 at 10:14AM
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    Booked Turkey in April with my personal assistant, Booked a Shearings coach trip to Italy for May with a friend, also going to Morocco with same personal assistant in November. Going to Spend Christmas and new years in Sri Lanka in December. Is going on 4 holidays excessive.
    Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.

If you can afford a week in Skegness you can probably afford more than a week in a lot of foreign destinations. The UK is expensive, you can get flights to countries where everything is far cheaper than the UK for £10-20.

Not really.

You can holiday in a caravan in Skegness pretty cheaply (especially if your family have one you can use for free).

To your £10-20 flights you need to add in costs to get to the airport (probably more expensive than an 80 mile journey to your nearest UK coastal resort).

My friend couldn't have afforded passports and foreign holidays when her kids were small.
    She could however afford a week in a caravan in Skegness if she bought a few extra bits of food each week and planned to eat in most days.
    She could put a meal together for much less than a meal for her and the kids would cost in cheaper foreign destinations that cost £10-20 for the flights.

So some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.

It's a different equation depending whether you're travelling as a family or solo. And obviously if you get stuff like accomodation free that's a factor (then someone else is paying for it - have you seen the prices of owning a caravan on UK campsites??). Some people own property abroad.
    Yes, I have seen the prices of ground rent.
    But if you personally are not paying it, then it is free for you.

zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

Not really.

Cost of bus at foreign airport to accomodation - usually under £1 (public transport is incredibly cheap in Eastern Europe)
    Accomodation - can get decent hotels for around £20 a night, or hostel dorm accomodation with cooking facilities etc under £10 a night.

That's great if you live somewhere where there is a tram service to your local airport and even better if you live close to that airport.
    But if you are an hour away from the nearest airport, you either do 3 buses or pay for a taxi.
    Accommodation in a caravan that your Mum & Dad own is free.

zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

Not really.

As I said, my friend generally ate in the caravan, apart from the odd treat of fish and chips for supper.
    So, I'll say it again - and BTW - it was a general response to the OP's question about whether 4 holidays abroad is excessive:

Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,316 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

Not really.

Yes, I have seen the prices of ground rent.
    But if you personally are not paying it, then it is free for you.

zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

Not really.

That's great if you live somewhere where there is a tram service to your local airport and even better if you live close to that airport.
    But if you are an hour away from the nearest airport, you either do 3 buses or pay for a taxi.
    Accommodation in a caravan that your Mum & Dad own is free.

zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

Not really.

As I said, my friend generally ate in the caravan, apart from the odd treat of fish and chips for supper.
    So, I'll say it again - and BTW - it was a general response to the OP's question about whether 4 holidays abroad is excessive:

Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive
    Why do you always do this? There is no need to "say it again". We heard you the first time.
    You made a "general response to the OP's question", I made a general response to your reply by pointing out that foreign holidays can be cheaper than UK holidays.
    This isn't an attempt to prove your statement wrong. I'm sure some people who take caravan holidays in Skegness do think 4 foreign holidays are excessive. Your statement is likely correct. No need to repeat it.
    But mine probably is too. They aren't contradictory. You using a very specific example of someone whose Mum and Dad own a caravan in Skegness which they can use for free and who lives 3 bus rides away from an airport doesn't disprove my point that "If you can afford a week in Skegness you can probably afford more than a week in a lot of foreign destinations". Note the "probably". It won't apply to your very specific example.
    Sorry to bang on but I really think you need to stop treating replies to your posts as "no you are wrong because...." rather than "yes but also...". Discussions often work that way, they aren't always a debate about who's right and who's wrong on a specific point but sometimes an expansion of the specific point you're making onto a related tangent.

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 3 December 2023 at 5:53PM
    I would say it is not excessive, we do similar, 1 long haul, 2 medium haul, 1 local.
    If you are paying for them out of money you have earned or been left, then why even ask?  It is nobody's business.  If you are paying for them out of benefits then that would be a reflection of what a generous benefits system we have in the UK.
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport