4 vacations abroad in a year. Is it excessive?

williewonder
williewonder Posts: 345
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
Booked Turkey in April with my personal assistant, Booked a Shearings coach trip to Italy for May with a friend, also going to Morocco with same personal assistant in November. Going to Spend Christmas and new years in Sri Lanka in December. Is going on 4 holidays excessive.

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,924
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There's no accepted figure of how frequently people should go on holiday, so if you have the money, time, health and inclination to take loads of holidays then why care what anyone else thinks?

Having said that, you might encounter some adverse comments if you chose to post that on some other boards on here, like the debt-free wannabe one, where it would probably be seen as insensitive and provocative bragging....
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,305
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    and it's a bit of a rehash.  presumably you're getting fussed by DWP? 

should people on benefit not be allowed to go on holiday? — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,649
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Well as you are managing on benefits and have a tendency to impulse drink and buy takeaways  perhaps it may be a tad excessive
  • Brie said:
    and it's a bit of a rehash.  presumably you're getting fussed by DWP? 

No I never get any bother off the DWP. If I did social services will deal with it as their my deputy.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,212
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    No, it's far too few :D
  • tightauldgit
    tightauldgit Posts: 2,628
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not at all. It's not down to other people how you spend the money you have. 

I have spent the last few years trying to actively spend as much time out of the UK as I can and basically take as many trips as I can - and while other people may comment on it, it's really not their business. 

This year I've taken short holidays to Morocco, Cyprus, Malta, Lithuania, Albania, Kosovo then Philippines (for a month), USA for two weeks and am currently on month 3 of what is intended to be a semi-permanent state of travelling/living overseas. Thats probably fewer than I would have but i took a couple of months break to focus on closing down my business.

If you have the health and wherewithall to do it, its not negatively affecting anyone else, and you're not stealing to pay for it then do what you want.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,486
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Booked Turkey in April with my personal assistant, Booked a Shearings coach trip to Italy for May with a friend, also going to Morocco with same personal assistant in November. Going to Spend Christmas and new years in Sri Lanka in December. Is going on 4 holidays excessive.
    Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.
    Some people who take more than 4 holidays a year will think it's not enough.

It's a 'how long is a piece of string?' question.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,212
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Pollycat said:
    Some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.

If you can afford a week in Skegness you can probably afford more than a week in a lot of foreign destinations. The UK is expensive, you can get flights to countries where everything is far cheaper than the UK for £10-20.

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,486
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    zagfles said:
    Pollycat said:

If you can afford a week in Skegness you can probably afford more than a week in a lot of foreign destinations. The UK is expensive, you can get flights to countries where everything is far cheaper than the UK for £10-20.

Not really.

You can holiday in a caravan in Skegness pretty cheaply (especially if your family have one you can use for free).
    You can take a lot of your own food to avoid eating out.
    Plan for sunny days and rainy days.

To your £10-20 flights you need to add in costs to get to the airport (probably more expensive than an 80 mile journey to your nearest UK coastal resort).
    And transfers to your destination when you book cheap flight only.
    Oh...and cost of passports if you don't have them.

My friend couldn't have afforded passports and foreign holidays when her kids were small.
    She could however afford a week in a caravan in Skegness if she bought a few extra bits of food each week and planned to eat in most days.
    Put sandwiches up for lunchtimes.
    The kids were happy to be having a holiday whether it was sunny or raining.
    She could put a meal together for much less than a meal for her and the kids would cost in cheaper foreign destinations that cost £10-20 for the flights.

So some people who can only afford a week in Skegness (other destinations are available) may think it excessive.

I really don't see the point of the question.
    How long is a piece of string?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,256
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    We used to take 3 or 4 holidays a year but can no longer do that as we have both retired.  If the OP is on Income Related benefits that number of holidays is almost certain to raise red flags with DWP.  The obvious question in that situation is how the holidays can be afforded.  Other than that it's entirely up to the individual how often they go on holiday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure