20% of claim excess (at age 9+)... How does it work?

Options
Tunstallstoven
Tunstallstoven Posts: 997 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
edited 1 December 2023 at 1:52PM in Pets & pet care
Hi folks

I'm at renewal stage for my dog insurance with ManyPets.  She's now 9+ years so the 20% of claim excess has kicked in.  I'm just trying to get my head round it and wondered if anyone could tell me how it works please? 

With a £7,000 limit on the policy - and an example claim that racks up to £10,000 in total - would the 20% excess be within the £7,000 total, or over and above it?  For example, if a claim were to be made and accepted and to reach £10,000 in total, which of these scenarios would be right (ignoring the smaller excess for the moment to make things easier):

a) Insurer covers £7,000 of the claim (100% of the policy limit).  We cover £2,000 of the claim (20% of the total claim of £10,000).  And we also cover the remaining £1,000 left to pay.

b) Insurer covers £5,600 of the claim (80% of the policy limit).  We cover £1,600 of the claim (20% of the policy limit of £7,000).  And we also cover the remaining £3,000 left to pay.      

c) Insurer covers £5,000 of the claim.  We cover £2,000 of the claim (20% of the total claim of £10,000).  And we also cover the remaining £3,000 left to pay.

Hope that's not too confusing!  I had to read it a couple of times, and I'm the one who wrote it!  

Many thanks

Comments

• SensibleSarah
    Options
    Pet insurance is made to be confusing IMO! 
    I've only had to make one claim on an older pet with a 20% co-payment (and not with the same provider as you), and that fell within her policy limit so I don't have direct experience but my understanding of it is that anything above the policy limit doesn't factor in at all so your option B would be correct. 
    In my experience with every insurance provider I've had, there is the standard excess for the policy, lets call it £100, and then the 20% co-payment on top though - which is totally separate to the standard excess. So taking your example, it would be:

b) Insurer covers £5,500 of the claim (80% of the policy limit - minus your £100 standard excess).  You cover £1,700 of the claim (20% of the policy limit of £7,000, plus your £100 standard excess).  And you also cover the remaining £3,000 left to pay that is above the policy limit.  

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I went through this a few years ago, B is correct. 
  • Tunstallstoven
    Options
    Thank you both for confirming, much appreciated.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback