TSB to Barclays AGH!!!

Ok I know I've left it to the 11th hour but I opened a Barclays account today and tried to switch my TSB account and it said it wasn't possible to switch from TSB online which I'm surprised about as it's a big high street bank.

This has probably been discussed before but I have 5 hours to find an alternative, as the Barclays switch offer is ending tonight. I recently did the TSB, Nationwide and HSBC switches. I want to keep the Nationwide account as I believe they are generally good with mortgages and my current fix ends in 9 months. I don't want to switch the HSBC as I want the Global Money bonus.

I have a Chase account and I opened an extra current account with them to switch to Nationwide but I don't want to do that again in case they decide to close my main account, and I like them.

Any ideas? Agh!!!!

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    phil7445 said:
    Ok I know I've left it to the 11th hour but I opened a Barclays account today and tried to switch my TSB account and it said it wasn't possible to switch from TSB online which I'm surprised about as it's a big high street bank.
    Did they specifically say that it wasn't possible to switch from TSB online, or just that a switch (from anywhere) couldn't be initiated at the moment (within hours of opening the account)?
  • phil7445
    phil7445 Posts: 483
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just TSB. I could do it with a paper switch, but that would miss the 23:59 deadline tonight.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,971
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If you're saying that they can't do TSB, and you don't want to do Nationwide, HSBC or Chase, which other suitable current accounts do you have primed and ready to go?
  • phil7445
    Forumite
    I guess I need to find a challenger type bank that gives me the account details immediately and switch that. Bit annoyed by this.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,914
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 November 2023 at 7:31PM
    I think someone else may have reported having such issues in the main thread. It would be worth trying again in case it was just a glitch. Barclays systems seem to be very flaky. Someone else reported being told by a member of staff that switching requests were unreliable outside of banking hours, although I submitted mine in the evening without issue.
  • phil7445
    Forumite
    I just tried again. It said "We're sorry, but your old bank doesn't offer the current account switch service"
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 22,914
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's clearly a problem on Barclays' side, but that doesn't help you right now. Your only options are to sacrifice one of your other accounts or sacrifice this incentive. If you had more time, then other options could have rescued you from this dilemma.
  • Oh sorry to hear about the hassle, I was considering switching my TSB but then decided to keep it for the rest of the cashback in February and took a gamble on my other account where the DD weren't quite there yet.
  • phil7445 said:
    I guess I need to find a challenger type bank that gives me the account details immediately and switch that. Bit annoyed by this.
    I am a bit confused as you'll need two active DD to switch for getting the reward?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback