In Germany for 3-4 months; Strict application of free EU roaming policies?

thefirs
thefirs Posts: 698
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
An acquaintance will be in Germany 3+ months, and although she has previously used a local sim it appears that there are now hurdles over topups which she finds difficult to handle.

She has no need of data, just calls and sms, so there are lots of potential EU inclusive roaming possibilities to choose from including her Tesco sim but I pointed out that many providers apply a 30-day limit and may apply a daily charge or swingeing roaming rates after that period has passed.  I note that 1pmobile has a policy of assessing the amount of allowance that has been used abroad viz-a-viz UK during their 120 day topup interval. Has anyone experience of the actual application of this policy, or suggestions for any other provider that does not have a strictly applied regime of "31 days and you're out"?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,523
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 28 November 2023 at 6:47PM
    The fair usage inclusive EU roaming period is usually 2-3 months, depending on the network, some may be only 30 days. However I suspect that such restrictions are hard to actually implement and I have roamed continously in EU on various UK networks far in excess of their fair usage policies without any interruption by them.
    What are the top up hurdles..?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • savergrant
    savergrant Posts: 1,039
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Will the calls be to UK numbers or to German numbers?
    If mainly calling back to UK lebara could be worth a look as I think it is only data which they compare UK and roaming usage. But they have a limit of international minutes and do not offer free texts to non-uk numbers.
  • thefirs
    thefirs Posts: 698
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2023 at 2:10PM
    eDicky said:
    The fair usage inclusive EU roaming period is usually 2-3 months, depending on the network, some may be only 30 days. However I suspect that such restrictions are hard to actually implement and I have roamed continously in EU on various UK networks far in excess of their fair usage policies without any interruption by them.
    The previously used German sim had been topped up via retail outlets but they are are now exclusively online. Paranoid about use of payment card online...sigh.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,523
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    thefirs said:
    eDicky said:
    The previously used German sim had been topped up via retail outlets but they are are now exclusively online. Paranoid about use of payment card online...sigh.

Sigh indeed - chargeback facilities are available regardless of transaction location. She should bear in mind that if there's a need to be contactable locally by calls/sms, international tariff would be incurred by a German party to a UK number which they may not find acceptable.
    Evolution, not revolution
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure