Invisalign v braces

Options
My daughter just told me my 11 yrs old grandson qualify for braces on the NHS if he did not qualify, the cost is approx £2500. She was given the option of going private at a cost if £4500 for Invisalign She does not mind him wearing braces but was put off with the idea that he has to have two teeth removed. He is also phoned to mouth ulcers. We do not know what to do apart from the cost what is the best option for an 11 yrs old. Will he be diligent with the oral hygiene? Thoughts pl. Thanks

Comments

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We don't know your grandson and whether he'd be diligent with the oral hygiene...

In terms of the braces, Invisalign would involve a series of plastic retainers that would need to be removed when eating and drinking (risk of the retainer being lost or damaged) whereas I presume the brace would be a fixed type he wouldn't need to remove.

Having a fixed brace at 11-16 is also really common, so he'll be one of many, as an adult I'd probably go for more discreet invisalign

Braces, by the way hurt when they're adjusted - but I had them (fixed train track type) and I've no regrets, and this shouldn't put your daughter or grandson off (having lovely straight teeth is worth it IMO)

If the teeth need to be removed, is this just for the fixed brace, or would the Invisalign also work better with the extraction?
  • cherry76
    Options
    Emmia said:
    We don't know your grandson and whether he'd be diligent with the oral hygiene...

In terms of the braces, Invisalign would involve a series of plastic retainers that would need to be removed when eating and drinking (risk of the retainer being lost or damaged) whereas I presume the brace would be a fixed type he wouldn't need to remove.

Having a fixed brace at 11-16 is also really common, so he'll be one of many, as an adult I'd probably go for more discreet invisalign

Braces, by the way hurt when they're adjusted - but I had them (fixed train track type) and I've no regrets, and this shouldn't put your daughter or grandson off (having lovely straight teeth is worth it IMO)

If the teeth need to be removed, is this just for the fixed brace, or would the Invisalign also work better with the extraction?
    Two teeth extraction required for fixed brace but not for Invisalign. She is going to ask why for fixed brace. Do not think he will be diligent with the oral hygiene. How did you cope with the pain ? I think she will go with the fixed train track type and us getting very stressed about it. Thanks for replying
  • Emmia
    edited 28 November 2023 at 12:19PM
    Options
    The pain was for a couple of days after each adjustment, it's fine though - an ache, not agony, soft food can be better then

Try to tackle the dental hygiene before the brace - your daughter too and the whole family as an example, flossing, cleaning twice a day etc. also, follow the food/drink guidance - avoid the fizzy drinks, orange juice etc., the tooth staining created if you don't can be horrendous.

Don't get stressed - it will transfer to him.
  • cherry76
    Options
    Yes you are right about the stress. He has already picked upon on it. I have asked to ask her dentist what’s the worst scenario if he cannot tolerate the braces.
  • Emmia
    Options
    cherry76 said:
    Yes you are right about the stress. He has already picked upon on it. I have asked to ask her dentist what’s the worst scenario if he cannot tolerate the braces.
    Crooked teeth.
  • Emmia
    edited 28 November 2023 at 1:39PM
    Options
    He'll either put up with crooked teeth, or later in life he'll pay to have them straightened. 

Invisalign also won't be pain free, but unlike the fixed braces, your grandson could take them out, or 'lose' the guards used to straighten them or refuse to wear them - which at £4.5k will be a bit galling.

The fixed brace is free and I'd go with that, he'll tolerate it. The ache is manageable.

• tooldle
    tooldle Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Invisalign is uncomfortable/painful. To create space for movement, the width of the teeth is reduced. This can be a long process, depending on how many teeth need reducing. I was in the chair for over three hours. It doesn’t hurt as such but my teeth did feel somewhat bruised for three or four days after. Whilst the movement is taking place, the aligners are worn for 23 hrs out of 24hr, just taken out briefly to eat. Through my treatment I changed aligners weekly and did the swap just before going to bed, getting the worst discomfort over with whilst I slept. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback