Ulster Bank Savings Account

Options
I have tried twice now to set up a savings account with Ulster bank. This is a very frustrating exercise. You cannot talk to anyone and the ChatBot is next to useless. I have viewed reviews online for Ulster Bank and this would appear to be a common problem.They need to get their act together. 
Be warned !!!  

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tench08 said:
    I have tried twice now to set up a savings account with Ulster bank. This is a very frustrating exercise. You cannot talk to anyone and the ChatBot is next to useless. I have viewed reviews online for Ulster Bank and this would appear to be a common problem.They need to get their act together. 
    Be warned !!!  
    What's the problem you're experiencing that you wanted to discuss with them?
  • Tench08
    Options
    The problem is just setting up the account and getting an answer from a human being would be good.

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tench08 said:
    The problem is just setting up the account and getting an answer from a human being would be good.
    There are plenty of human beings on here who are able and willing to offer help, if applicable, but obviously that's dependent on being able and willing to articulate what the problem actually is....
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Strange question, but if you honestly think that they are that terrible, why would you want to open an account with them? Sorry to ask but ??
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • Bridlington1
    Options
    Tench08 said:
    I've found when using the chatbot you can get through to someone by typing "speak to human", then when it tells you about how Cora can help you with many things type "speak to human" again and they should put you through to someone.

In my experience I've found with Ulster the first account you open with them takes ages, after that opening additional accounts with them is much quicker. It took weeks to set up a current account with them (none of it difficult, just long waits for them to do things) yet when I applied for an EA savings account with them a few months back the application took less than a minute and the account was fully functioning the next day. As ever though other's experiences will vary.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 November 2023 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Tench08 said:

The Natwest chatbots are fairly easily to get a human during the day.
    If you really want to speak to a human at the bank, why don't you just call them on the phone?
  • allegro120
    Options
    Tench08 said:
    I've found when using the chatbot you can get through to someone by typing "speak to human", then when it tells you about how Cora can help you with many things type "speak to human" again and they should put you through to someone.

In my experience I've found with Ulster the first account you open with them takes ages, after that opening additional accounts with them is much quicker. It took weeks to set up a current account with them (none of it difficult, just long waits for them to do things) yet when I applied for an EA savings account with them a few months back the application took less than a minute and the account was fully functioning the next day. As ever though other's experiences will vary.
    I've applied last week. Received three e-mails.  Account is opened and I now know my customer number and three last digits of my account, waiting for activation code to find out full account number and have it online/app.  I don't mind how long it takes, it's just a back up EA + foot in Ulster door for me.  I don't need to fund it now, am I right thinking that there's no minimum operational balance on this account?
  • Bridlington1
    Options
    Tench08 said:

I've applied last week. Received three e-mails.  Account is opened and I now know my customer number and three last digits of my account, waiting for activation code to find out full account number and have it online/app.  I don't mind how long it takes, it's just a back up EA + foot in Ulster door for me.  I don't need to fund it now, am I right thinking that there's no minimum operational balance on this account?
    It sounds like they've sped up their systems a bit.

You are correct, there's no minimum operational balance for the account. I deposited £1 in it before they reduced the top tier of interest threshold from £50k to £5k and it's spent most of the last 3 months with a nil balance.
  • Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    Tench08 said:

Correct, my current account and the Loyalty saver are both at zero balances. 
  • tigerspill
    Options
    I opened one and the process was fine.  Took just a couple of minutes.  Got the accont details immediately and account was available online next working day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback