New driver insurance so mad..

Comments

• Is it worth waiting until she's had a licence for a year?    

You may find the reduction in price is greater then than the 1 yr NCD that she might have earned by then.

I would suggest trying quotes on that basis, for comparison, but beware of requesting quotes where personal information changes (rather than the car) as this can get flagged.
    "I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun, you've got the top pulled down and the radio on" :cool:
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2023 at 11:31AM
    We were in a similar position (although she's 18 rather than 17) - previous Admiral multicar policy without her was £600 for my group 45 sports car and the family 1.6 diesel Korean hatchback - their quote to add her as a named driver to the family hatch pushed it to over £5k. 

Aviva came in at just over £2k total for multicar with same conditions and no black box needed
  • Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Insured my daughter in an 11 plate Citroen C1 using Admiral Black Box insurance for just over £1000.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 November 2023 at 1:29PM
    We have tried that tried all sorts, tried about a dozen different cars..

Only just noticed on all the comparison sites they are throwing up only a few quotes 5 or 6 all at crazy prices 4k, 6k, etc, and at the bottom cos we hadn't scrolled past the 10k quotes, it says "we were unable to get quotes from the following companies", and there are like 130-150+ logos, so basically everyone else are just refusing cover...
    Why would that be? I know 17 just passed are high risk but several of her friends passed recently at 17 and got cars and are paying 1000-1500...  
    Have you reid quotes for the same car as they have with the same insurance companies?
  • misterbarlow
    misterbarlow Posts: 466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 November 2023 at 2:55PM
    Yes we tried a doing a c1 they wanted over 4k still, just done 3 different cars with tesco blackbox all 3 were 3500-4000... its insane..

Her best friend hasn't passed yet got a 15 clio and her parents pay 1400 as a learner.
    We tried doing a quote on her friends car and again was 4k+ they are same age and live in same postcode..
    Something isn't right..

I just don't get it.. every company, every car we try, either says sorry we can't quote you or is over 3 or 4k, and some want 6,7,8k.. 

We paid over a grand for her to learn she's buzzing to get going and now we can't afford for her to drive anything..

We even just logged into dvla and checked her licence details incase they had her accidentally flagged up as a medical risk or something, but it's all good on there...

Theres a brokers office near me i might pop in there in the way home later and see what they can do...
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 641 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Her best friend hasn't passed yet got a 15 clio and her parents pay 1400 as a learner.
    We tried doing a quote on her friends car and again was 4k+ they are same age and live in same postcode..
    Something isn't right..

The 'learner' part might be a red herring - it was much cheaper for our daughter to be a learner (presumably as always accompanied) than it was after she'd passed her test (and therefore driving solo)

In addition non of us are aware of your location and any loading elements around age/experience/claims in that specific area
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If her friends have got quotes of much lower figures try putting the make and model of car they have into the search and see what comes back.  If the figure is much higher there are obviously other factors affecting the quote.  That can be down to postcode, type of work she is doing, where the car is kept overnight and many other variables.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,186 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    TELLIT01 said:
    If her friends have got quotes of much lower figures try putting the make and model of car they have into the search and see what comes back.  If the figure is much higher there are obviously other factors affecting the quote.  That can be down to postcode, type of work she is doing, where the car is kept overnight and many other variables.
    Her friend is a learner driver still... learners have to be accompanied by an adult etc and so inevitably have much lower claims. Its newly qualified drivers that go out with a car full of mates, show off, wrap the car around a tree and there are three sets of significant injury claims against the record. 
  • Called in the brokers they said nothing they can do that's what it is right now, under 20 cover has rocketed this year by 50%+, he'd be lucky to find us anything under 3-4k himself he said.. and Dullgreyguy he said the same about learners..

I just read a Fiat 500 pop is one of the cheapest cars to insure as they only have 4 seats, just found one locally on autotrader and quoted that, got it down to 1900 with a black box and a grand excess (500 vol, 500 comp).. 
    best we've seen so far..
  • Is there anything wrong or illegal in me buying a car on HP in my name, so it will be owned by the finance company and I will be the RK, but then putting the insurance in my daughters name and having her as main driver and stating she is not the owner or RK, with myself as an additional driver?? 
    If the finance is in my name, do I need to be the main driver??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback