Why do Metro Bank make applying for their top rated fixed ISA so difficult?

Comments

• VXman
    VXman Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 December 2023 at 9:57AM
    Aretnap said:
    VXman said:
    We gave it one last try yesterday. Went in at about 1.30pm but all appointment slots of the day had been filled. so, sorry Metro, Virgin will get my money instead.

What I would like to know, just out of interest, why do they insist on a in person visit?. They have other accounts that you can open online and they have an app. This particularly account, whilst it must be opened in store, it is still operated via the app. So why only open in store? Just doesn't make any sense.
    In the past banks often said you had to visit a branch for various things, like activating a credit card. It was so they could try and sell you other products. Maybe that is what metro are doing.

Indeed. It's fairly safe to say that the reason you can only open it in store is not because it hasn't occurred to Metro to put an online option on their website. Most likely the interest rate is a loss-leader and it is being offered to tempt customers into branches, where sales advisors can sell them other, profitable, products.
    Unlikely as they seem very uninterested letting you get into the branch to speak to them.
  • DavidAC
    DavidAC Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is this account easy enough to open and transfer into with a branch visit? I have an ISA with Virgin Money maturing soon and their fixed rates (like most) have dropped a lot recently.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    DavidAC said:
    Is this account easy enough to open and transfer into with a branch visit? I have an ISA with Virgin Money maturing soon and their fixed rates (like most) have dropped a lot recently.
    What did you think of all the other posts in the thread?
  • DavidAC
    Most seem to be complaints about having to open in branch and get an appointment. If you can get an appointment in branch is it then a smooth prosess to open and transfer in. I don't think a previous post answers this.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 December 2023 at 6:13PM
    The problem with answering your question is that there isn't a one size fits all. It depends on:
    * who the existing ISA provider is and
    * whether they are signed up for electronic transfers.
    * if the postal service is prioritising parcels over letters in the area.
    If the current provider is Virgin I wouldn't recommend you have any expectations of a smooth transfer to anywhere.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    DavidAC said:
    Most seem to be complaints about having to open in branch and get an appointment. If you can get an appointment in branch is it then a smooth prosess to open and transfer in. I don't think a previous post answers this.
    Fair enough, I misunderstood what you were asking, but don't have any direct experience to answer the question of how onerous the paperwork itself is....
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

If the current provider is Virgin I wouldn't recommend you have any expectations of a smooth transfer to anywhere.
    My Transfer from Virgin to Nat West was as smooth as a babies bottom.
  • VXman said:

My Transfer from Virgin to Nat West was as smooth as a babies bottom.
    That's because there are always exceptions to every situation, nothing is 100%. I'd call that lucky or if you look at interest rates, maybe unfortunate .
  • DavidAC
    My transfer nearly a year ago from YBS to Virgin Money was a nightmare. In the electronic transfer system there is a box that VM should have ticked, but YBS said it wasn't, so they rejected it. VM insisted it was ticked, YBS insisted it wasn't. They tried multiple times over months. Eventually I managed to get someone from the VM ISA team to speak to someone in the YBS ISA team over the phone while they sent the transfer request. Box ticked at VM end not ticked at YBS end. Eventually they did the transfer by post. Transfer originally requested in January, completed early April. So much for no more than 15 days.
  • DavidAC
    Back to transferring to Metro. This question applies to any ISA provider but given Metro's recent financial difficulties is particularly relevent transferring to them. If the ISA provider goes bust FSCS pays out, does the money keep it's ISA status?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback