We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

When to buy a Christmas tree?

Options
2»

Comments

• goldfinches
    Options
    twopenny said:
    Well the problem may be solved.
    Went to get one today and they were down to 4 little chubby ones. Too small.
    Going by experience the last 3yrs they won't stock more.
    Lights, trees etc when they are gone they are gone.
    Trouble is people realise this and each year decorations vanish earlier and earlier.

I'll check round tomorrow. Again experience says the staff won't have a clue what is due to be delivered.
    A family member sent me one of these last Christmas which was in surprisingly good nick when it arrived here considering how bare the roots were and how small they were compared to the size of the tree. I managed to kill it by June/July but now I have the allotment am going to buy another from a local florist in the market and fashion some sort of arrangement for it so that I can keep it going hopefully for several years.  The Starry Night Tree | Letterbox Trees | Bloom & Wild (bloomandwild.com)

Things you didn't know about having long hair

Always put it up before sitting down on the loo!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    One Christmas tree bought!
    Tescos - trees are half price until 4th Dec so this cost £12.50.
    Bigger ones but cut end £15

Whether there are roots I can't tell as the plant pot is sealed in black plastic to keep soil and moisture in during transit - and it's a freezing strong wind out there so getting the plant pot out of the decorative red pot to check isn't an option.
    I guess at some point I should to see if it's too wet or not wet enough but will try to keep in place if it comes indoors to preserve it's moisture and use a large dish full of pebbles to sit it in.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,307 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well done 2P, and very MSE with half price, just needs a fairy now >:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Options
    Oh lots of fairies in the garden Farway!
    But I did get a big silver star topper for £1 and I have some Poundshop 'chrystals' to hand to bling it up.
    Add the family baubles if I can get in/out of the loft and yes, very MSE :)

• ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Lovely - I'm not a 'christmassy' person (I'm one of those that volunteers to work through and takes my time off outside the holiday periods), but it's always nice to bring a bit of nature and light into the house during the dark and cold season :) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny
    Options
    That's the point this year Abs.
    I don't do Christmas any more and was much like your way before but it's been a rough few years and I haven't settled into the house so this is my way of saying 'yipee! past the darkest and this is home' :)

• ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    Something I like to do around by birthday is light some candles (nowadays more likely LED tea lights!), make a fussy hot chocolate (with foamy milk and sprinkles) and write a letter to myself - I've done one every 10 years or so. Kind of just reflecting on the last few years good and bad, irritations and things I'm grateful for, and thinking about where I want to be personally/professionally/any experiences I want to tick off before the next letter.

Not sure if you like the idea :)  
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • twopenny
    Options
    Abs, sounds interesting.
    I've been following the Icelandic Christmas Eve tradition. Jolabokaflod. Or book flood. Ever since I heard about it.

I buy some special books during the year which I wrap and forget about then, fire on, snuggly blankets and candles, hot choc, chocolates and baileys or whatever and read.
    When it cold and dark it's just so relaxing.

And you've just reminded me. I need to write to my friend in Oz. We used to work together, have visited only occasionally in 50yrs but write a proper letter every Christmas. It's lovely to receive one too.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport