We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

When to buy a Christmas tree?

Options
This year I'd like a real tree, just a little one, pot grown.
I know they vanish suddenly but would getting one 4 weeks+ before the day be too soon?

I wondered if anyone had experience that may relate. 
It would be a supermarket one.

Considering buying one now while there is choice and putting it outside in the garden, sheltered, about 10c in the south west,  until nearer the time - house isn't overwarm and it's going in a cool corner.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    Options
    As they are on sale and you want to buy one just get it whenever it suits you.  Leaving it outside is no different from the places currently selling them leaving them outside so it would be fine.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 November 2023 at 7:00AM
    Options
    @twopenny out of curiosity, why are you limiting the purchase to just a supermarket ?
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Castor, where I live we have 3 options.
    The diy place where they are the skinny scanky ones at £18, the garden centre where they cost a small fortune £50 or the supermarket where they look nice at £20

There is another where you nip into a wood and cut one......but that's not really an option.

In a tub growing it's all done for my old and aching limbs.
    I bought a tub one years ago and it lasted another year  :)

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    edited 27 November 2023 at 11:12AM
    Options
    We've always gone to places where you wander about, find a tree and then cut it down, or have it cut down. In the last place we lived, people would pile into a trailer and head off across fields to get there; great fun for the kids and now probably banned under elfin safety! Now, we just wander down into the valley here to find a tree in a plantation run by a friend.
    Every year it gets a bit harder, as the friend is growing more Nordmann Fir and the ordinary Norway Spruce are in shorter supply. It can take an hour to find the best one. 
    Working on the basis that the tree will be super fresh, we reckon on a month in a container without leaf drop, so around the end of the first week in December would be right for us. :) For pot grown, assuming there really are roots (!) anytime now would be fine.
    “Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
    ― Aldous Huxley
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,248 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I did see a post somewhere, not on here, about growing your own, a bit of a long term project and need some space, both of which may not be available

Starting point is finding cones with seeds in, then it's sow & wait, rinse & repeat annually
    Slow to grow but after a few years you will have a ready supply and saved a few quid, or died from boredom waiting >:)
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    Options
    Thanks folks.
    Dusty, yes the roots thing occoured to me this morning. I'll tip the pots to check.

Farway, had forgotten that I had a grow your own Christmas tree card one year. It's still in the garage.
    Guess it's a bit late to start for this year  :D
    An adventure for next year

• Eldi_Dos
    Eldi_Dos Posts: 1,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @twopenny
    When you do bring the potted tree indoors it is best to stand it in a bund or tray so any seepage does not spoil furniture or flooring.
    Can disguise bund with some tinsel and decorations.
  • twopenny
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me.
    I still have a big tray that I used to use years ago. I must look them out and clean them up.
    And something to put the tray on so it doesn't mark the carpet.

They don't mention this in this in the films and ads  :) 

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Eldi_Dos said:
    @twopenny
    When you do bring the potted tree indoors it is best to stand it in a bund or tray so any seepage does not spoil furniture or flooring.
    Can disguise bund with some tinsel and decorations.
    Yes, we use an old sheep bucket which is just large enough to fit the Christmas tree stand inside. Lidl do excellent stands that hold enough water and grip the tree well. My DW says they're amazingly inexpensive, but she would! ;)

“Happiness is not achieved by the conscious pursuit of happiness; it is generally the by-product of other activities.”
    ― Aldous Huxley
  • twopenny
    Options
    Well the problem may be solved.
    Went to get one today and they were down to 4 little chubby ones. Too small.
    Going by experience the last 3yrs they won't stock more.
    Lights, trees etc when they are gone they are gone.
    Trouble is people realise this and each year decorations vanish earlier and earlier.

I'll check round tomorrow. Again experience says the staff won't have a clue what is due to be delivered.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport