Husband working abroad and Universal Credit

Wife is at home with small children and baby.  Husband is working abroad (all hours) to save some money.  They are definitely a couple.
Husband is non resident for UK tax.
Would I be right in thinking that if he was NR, then wife can claim UC as a single person, and he would not be included in claim?

Comments

• NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,517
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It will depend how long they have been abroad or expect to be abroad. If they are abroad or reasonably expected to be abroad for more than 6 months, then it would be a single claim
    If they expect to be away less than 6 months then it should be a couple claim and it will be treated as a temporary absence under UC Regs 3(6).

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    Forumite
    Is the husband making any payments back to the family?

Even as a single person the wife must declare all sources of income to herself, but I think payments to the small children and baby can be treated as child maintenance and be disregarded.

See this previous post:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6227490/universal-credit-husband-permanently-works-abroad/p2
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,517
    Forumite
    edited 23 November 2023 at 2:30PM
    Alderbank said:
    Is the husband making any payments back to the family?

Even as a single person the wife must declare all sources of income to herself, but I think payments to the small children and baby can be treated as child maintenance and be disregarded.

Regarding spousal maintenance payments, these are only taken into consideration if made under a court order or maintenance agreement (see UC Regs 66(d)) otherwise they would be disregarded as income in the same way any gifted money would.
    You are correct any payments made relating to the child would be disregarded.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback