PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

help needed New years eve food and games

Options

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    The secret of great sandwiches is to vary the bread so they don't look too boring, I like to use brown breads for egg mayo sandwiches don't know why it just looks better somehow. If you have an Aldi have a look for their cracker selections and breadsticks, much nicer and cheaper than Asda, Tesco etc. Their cooked meats are also better than the usual supermarket offerings.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in Iceland yesterday and found some really good party food. Bags of 100 sausages and 100 sausage roll for £2 per bag. Selection of 75 chicken pieces - £5 and selection of 75 pieces of tex mex food for £5. Great choice.
    I am having a huge bring a bottle party next Sat - approx 50 people and along with the bits from iceland, I am doing dips with veg, tortilla chips, pitta and breadstix. I think I can feed everyonr for about £40. Paige XX
  • ladydriva
    Options
    thanx for all your suggestions everyone! loads of ideas i didne even think about ,,, deffo forgot bout the cheese n pineapple/ pickled onions !!!
    luverly

thanx again
    x
  • babes21
    babes21 Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    Options
    Salted nuts
    Quiche
    Selection of salad
    Dips
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Don't forget the salads - pasta, rice, potato, green, tomato etc.

Saw a great idea for mini tortillas in Somefield mag, which might fit in nicely with sandwich scheme. Basically make up tortilla with filling, roll up and cut into 6. Fillings they suggested were salsa, avocado and coriander/ Roasted red pepper and black olive/ smoked ham and rocket.

Also was a recipe for Smoked salmon croustades.
    Remove crusts from bread, roll bread with rolling pin until flattened, spread with butter. Place eash slice of bread in muffin or bun tin, pressing down to form a cup shape. Bake in oven 200C, gas 6 for about 10/15 mins. Allow to cool, then fill.
    Filling - Soft cheese, lemon juice - mix together with black pepper. Spread inside bread cases, top with slice of smoked salmon. Another suggestion was topping with some asparagus spears.
    Quite liked this idea and thinking of adapting with other fillings.

Know it's great to make your own, but the prices for bag of frozen sausage rolls at Iceland, much cheaper than making yourself, and would save a lot of effort. Know which way I'd go if catering for a large crowd! ;)
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    im doing a buffet i am making saus rolls/quiche/bread rolls/cakes/biscuits/cheese sticks,it is mainly my family so just wanted to show them how good i cook will get some cold meats and other bits too though
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    ... chicken goujons (sliced breast dipped in egg and homemade seasoned breadcrumbs and baked) ...

I would like to make some - any ideas on cooking temp and timing please?
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • Toxic_Lemon
    Options
    3 x 175g chicken breasts, cut into finger-length strips
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    4 tbsp breadcrumbs
    salt and pepper

1. Slice chicken breasts lengthways into long strips about 4"or 5" (10cm-13cm) long and 1/2-3/4" (1-1 1/2 cm) wide. Don't worry if you end up with some smaller bits of chicken, these will work just as well.
    2. Roll strips in egg then seasoned breadcrumbs until the strips are well coated. (You can add spices or herbs for variation.
    3. Arrange breaded strips in a single layer on a large plate and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
    4. Preheat your oven to 190C (375F).
    5. Lightly oil a baking dish or tray with the olive oil (I line mine with silicone paper first to make cleaning up easier).
    6. Place chicken in a single layer into the baking dish.
    7. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
    8. Serve warm or cold, drizzled generously with the dressing of your choice or dips.

And here's a recipe for:

Sticky Chicken Goujons
    TL
  • TKP_3
    TKP_3 Posts: 522 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you :T
    I'm going to make some this weekend
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate! :)
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    having a bit of a do New Years Eve for about 10 adults. To keep the costs down I've asked people to bring something to eat (which will be the usual sausage rolls etc) and I will do a hot dish. So I thought a vegetable curry in the slow cooker, but looking thro my stuff this morning, I haven't got a suitable recipe. Can anyone help please

Also if anyone has ideas for some suitable games that would be great. I was thinking sort of childish ones, but we haven'r really got enough people for team games eg pass the matchbox on your nose
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure