More on delays but not just probate

Options
Just to make a change from the many threads on probate taking so long ...

Does anyone have recent experience of how long it is taking for a typical DWP investigation where a repayment will be due? For those not aware, if there have been means tested benefits such as pension credit, DWP do not get involved with executors until after probate has been granted.
In our case, after initial checks (where we told DWP there was a potential issue), six years of bank statements were sent to DWP in early August. Any idea how long it will take before I can expect a response? Months or years?? I suspect they will need to go back nearly 20 years of a claim so not a trivial calculation for them. No knowledge myself of if or what was being claimed back then or access to any bank statements that old.
With the probate delays as well, it has been a year now since our relative passed away. We are still unable to distribute this estate.
Just in case anyone is also dealing with HMRC concerning capital gains tax, I called them last week concerning a letter I sent in February for a different estate. They acknowledge that they have the letter. Nobody has looked at it yet, but it WAS still in the queue. Over 9 months! 
Probate office, HMRC, DWP they all seem broken to me.

Comments

• SkyyeBlue
    Options
    Hi, my pops passed in January. We initially got a DWP refund about 6 weeks later. The out of the blue we got a letter asking for repayment of pension in early November, so approximately 11 months after Dad died. Probate on the other hand I did myself on a paper form and was turned around in 12 weeks.

• Jowwie
    Jowwie Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 November 2023 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Worrying that you get such a request after so long with no indication there was any issue. Gives me an indication to the slowness of DWP with deceased estates.

Do any executors have recent experience of sending years of bank statements to DWP? If so, how long from sending them to the DWP was it before you heard back with an amount owing?
  • trueblue27
    Options
    My mother passed November 2022, probate was granted middle of March 23, dwp decided to investigate an over payment of pension credit, a year has passed since her death and 8 months since dwp decide to investigate..still not heard anything from them.. as a family all we want is closure 
  • Jowwie
    Options
    Our dates are almost identical. I originally told them of a potential issue over the phone right back when I notified of the death so they have known for a year. They don't start doing anything until after probate though. They then wrote to me to tell me there might be an issue! Likewise we are just after closure, and the ability to pay out to beneficiaries (not the executors). I suspect the mountain of paperwork I sent them is just sat in an empty office somewhere. No way of checking on progress that I am aware of.
  • trueblue27
    Options
    It’s disgusting that bereaved families are being subjected to this, my late mother had just over £16,000 in monetary assets when she died, we were unaware that she had claimed pension credit and unsure who applied for this for her as she had dementia for the past 5 years of her life, I can only assume that this was applied for back in 2011 when her partner passed. So therefore an investigation is going back over 12 years. She owned her own home which she left to myself, however the solicitor is unable to even transfer this into my name until the investigation has finished..its not about the house or the money, its about the fact that I need closure, the house is sat empty and untouched, still full of all her belongings and still raking up utility, insurance and council tax bills, which is slowly dwindling the money the solicitor holds..if the dwp want any monies owed then why don’t they just pull their finger out and sort this so we can all move on, instead of putting us all in a state of sadness and limbo.. my mother would never of wanted this..hang your heads in shame dwp!
  • WhiteCircle
    Options
    I just spoke to DWP Debt Management. They told me that they are working on bank statements that were received in August 2023.

I sent my late mother's statements beginning of Nov 2023. They told me it'd be February 2024 at the earliest before they'd be looked at. My mother died January 2023. 
  • Jowwie
    Options
    Thanks. That is the info I was after. Mine were sent to DWP in August so fingers crossed I might hear something in next few weeks. Will let you know when I do.

I have now had a response from HMRC concerning capital gains tax, after 10 months and some prompting, to tell me nothing is owing there. At least I can close down one of the estates now.
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    My husband had to wait over a year after Probate before DWP decided there was nothing owing on his mother's estate with regard to Pension Credit. It could all have been closed much sooner if they had acknowledged that she was on an Assessed Income period, and that meant no changes affected her eligibility.  Bank statements older than 6 years are not usually obtainable.
  • Jowwie
    Options
    I have a response from DWP! This is from the bank statements I sent them four months ago.
    Unfortunately it is only an acknowledgement that I have sent them what they were after. I am now in the system awaiting a decision maker. 
    Progress though.
  • WhiteCircle
    WhiteCircle Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jowwie said:
    I have a response from DWP! This is from the bank statements I sent them four months ago.
    Unfortunately it is only an acknowledgement that I have sent them what they were after. I am now in the system awaiting a decision maker. 
    Progress though.
    Have you heard back from DWP yet? I'm still waiting so wondered what your timeline was in the end? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback