Coffee machine.

I have recently bought a Dolce Gusto POD coffee machine.
The pods I have tried have all been very nice, but I never get more than just over half a normal cup of coffee.
Is there a coffee machine out there that gives a full cup of coffee?
SPC 037

Comments

• LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 403
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 November 2023 at 3:52PM
    the Tassimo XL pods will do a full mug or you could just make the move to a bean to cup machine now 

Machine costs are significantly more, but the coffee cost per cup is much lower - the pods are great and convenient and handy to try different styles/brews, but the cost reflects that.

Generally - a £12 1kg bag of beans keeps 2 very avid coffee drinkers supplied for roughly a month. I dread to think how much I used to spend on pods
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,019
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the Tassimo XL pods will do a full mug or you could just make the move to a bean to cup machine now 

Machine costs are significantly more, but the coffee cost per cup is much lower - the pods are great and convenient and handy to try different styles/brews, but the cost reflects that.

Generally - a £12 1kg bag of beans keeps 2 very avid coffee drinkers supplied for roughly a month. I dread to think how much I used to spend on pods
    Blimey!! there is a big difference in price. 
    While I like a cup of coffee, I don't drink enough of it to warrant spending that much. 
    SPC 037
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,971
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    madlyn said:
    I have recently bought a Dolce Gusto POD coffee machine.
    The pods I have tried have all been very nice, but I never get more than just over half a normal cup of coffee.
    Is there a coffee machine out there that gives a full cup of coffee?
    Can you adjust the serving size - I have an opal 1 pod coffee machine that has 3 sizes which I've set up to produce the right size serving for the different mugs we have.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,052
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

As i only drink cofee i thought about treating myself last year in the sales to a cofee machine ,then i looked a the price of the pods!!! would work out very expensive.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • We have a Moka pot - lovely coffee (you can choose your own beans or ground), a lot cheaper than pods and definitely less materials.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,896
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    There's always cup filters and the like.  Imho a cafetiere makes the best coffee - and there's no waste.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    We have a Moka pot - lovely coffee (you can choose your own beans or ground), a lot cheaper than pods and definitely less materials.
    I use a stainless steel Bialetti - Works great on my induction hob, and brews enough to fill a decent size mug. The only waste it generates can go straight on to the compost heap.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,195
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I love my bean to cup except for the noise it makes when grinding, partly because I love a pot of coffee on a quiet Sunday morning and it risks waking my partner….
  • I think the pod machines can be a reasonable option in the right situation. I mostly drink cafetière coffee day to day, and have a machine for the occasional espresso. Maybe two or three cups a week.

I don't use it enough for a bean to cup machine to make sense. I can't be bothered grinding my own beans. If I buy pre-ground espresso coffee it turns into stale flavourless grit long before I finish the pack. 

For me, pods make sense.

In terms of serving size, my Nespresso machine has various settings. Does a Dolce Gusto machine allow similar? I seem to recall it determines the serving size from the pod you insert, but I could be wrong.
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,019
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The machine I have does have various settings for the type of coffee being made, but even on the maximum setting it's never a full cup.
    SPC 037
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure